SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ace_thomas

First year raised beds, I believe I made a tiny soil mistake...

Ace Thomas
9 years ago

I've been gardening for years, but I've only done the wide, raised row method that I learned from my family; a method we have been doing forever.

This year, I wanted to try raised beds, I have seen many gardeners in my area switch to raised beds and not only does it look easier, it also looks aesthetically pleasing and seems much simpler.

However, to my problem, my plants are stunted and yellow. At first thought, I believed it was the nitrogen content or just too much watering. However, upon further inspection, the "garden soil," I have been using is NON-CONTAINER. I used a 1/2 mix of this garden soil and manure, however I do believe it is stunting my plants somehow.

I was thinking that I would just dig up near the center of the raised beds and replaced the middle with topsoil or some container mix of soil, however I am not sure if this is the best way to go.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem? It looks like the garden soil I used has some sort of built-in mulch or something, the topsoil gets very, very hard. If anyone is wondering I use the Vigoro "Organic" Garden Soil (my first and last time using this brand.)

Comments (8)