SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annnettem

I made a mistake, I think. I mixed MG into my veggie garden.

annnettem
15 years ago

I am new to veggie gartdens and need some advice please. I had a raised bed put in about 5 years ago and attempted to plant veggies in it and everything died except one cherry tomato plant. I gave up until this season. I decided to try my hand at a veggie garden again!

I needed to fill in the soil that had eroded out over the 5 years so, not knowing better, I went and got bags of MG soil for flowers and veggies. I tilled it into the exisiting soil and ordered my veggie plants and planted those a week later (about 1 week ago now).

Everything 'seems' to be doing fine, but I fear everything is going to die and I will not want to give it another go. I read and read and read on this site for two days now and I still can't find info on whether or not I should be adding anything else to this garden to keep it thriving.

I bought Espoma 5-3-3 fetilizer, dried blood 12-0-0, and diatomaceous earth to have on hand in case I have any bug problems. Do I need to be adding any of this stuff to my plants NOW? Or do I wait to see if there are any problems before adding anything else to the soil?

Also, is there anything I should be adding to the soil to make it more rich for the veggies to thrive in?

I have planted various tomatoes, 2 types of eggplants, 2 types of peppers, summer squash, and some broccoli (which I now know I shouldn't have, but am going to see how long that lasts before dying).

Any wisdom or advice on how to keep this garden alive this time around would be appreciated. I want to put the least amount of chemicals in the garden if possible at this point. (I know, I know, after reading here that the MG soil is full of them) but I really don't want to add anymore. I feel I might have made a huge mistake. I thought you just till in the MG with the existing soil, plant, and things grow. Very naive of me after reading here.

Thanks for any help. There isn't much on this forum as to working with MG soil with slow release fertilizer.

Comments (6)