SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Texas Easter Woodland Walk About

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have some acreage that I clear Mountain ash cedar from. But it gets confusing (and controversial) because Cedar is native to much of this land in the steep stream canyons but it got overgrazed and it became way to dominant and came out of the canyons. SO, I chop away. The deer are out of control here and certain trees like Red Spanish Oak, Red Bud, Escarpment Black Cherry are becoming endangered . They are deer candy. So I cage them or pile up dead brush around them. The winter has been wet and we have actually had some moisture this last year, only 10" below normal (LOL). The replacement of trees has been nonexistent until this refreshening, so I actually have 2 year old trees to protect. That is great news.

I took an Easter walk about and made some great finds. Here is my favorite find. A escarpment black Cherry that is 12 '. How did I miss this. It was caged by the dreaded Mountain ash Cedar. Who protects but also robs all the nutrients and suffocates. I guess during the drought, the cedar had some die back and allowed some light but not deer. I am tempted to clear but leave the mess because I see a bunch of 2 year old gar rya (Mexican Silk Tassel) and red oak . I love the striped bark.

Here is its mother tree across the ravine getting ready to flower.

Just up and not eaten yet

2 Year old Spanish oak with last years brush piled around it. I piled up a lot more and 2 bundles of metal welded wire needs to be bought. There is a lot of protecting needed.

I found another 3-4 year old Madrone tree. This will definitely get caged. Madrones are definitely on the endangered list. I also found a Black Cherry and a redbud not far from this tree. This will be a beautiful area in 10 years if weather and wildlife cooperates.

I also found some wee little babies and I swear on a stack of sears Catalogs that they will not become deer salad.

The pale green is a native honeysuckle, Lonicera albiflora, growing up the tree. I cleared this spot and protected the madrone about three years ago leaving a messy pile of brush. I saw the twisted vine but thought it was a wild grape and left some of the range dining cedar as a structure. The vine had no leaves at the time . It was winter. What a nice surprise this is. I need to come back and catch it in flower. This is also dear candy. This is the only vine that I know of on the lot. I am excited by this. True , I get excited by anything that is not Cedar ( what Texans call Mountain Ash Juniper). That makes me a Cedar Chopper, an old derogatory term for white trash hillbillies.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES