SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Easter 2020 dinner?

Tina Marie
4 years ago

A very different Easter for sure. No big family dinner this year. Still, I am cooking Easter dinner for the two of us. Molasses brown sugar ham, pineapple casserole, potatoes, sugar snap peas or baby peas and deviled eggs. Some type of rolls/bread I suppose. We will stream our church service as we have been doing the last few weeks tomorrow morning. Probably late lunch/early dinner combo. Oh, and I made a french coconut pie for dessert!

Are you guys cooking?

Comments (69)

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

We were supposed to be with the kids and grands for granddaughters’s bday party today and brunch tomorrow with all at a nice restaurant.

Instead, it will just be me and DH. We will grill steaks and probably watch a movie. Trying cake bites for dessert—I didn’t plan ahead so it’s all I had on hand to make.

My dining room table is sewing central—-I’m making masks and keep getting requests, so no nice table decor. DH brought down the Easter decs so I will put something small on the coffee table where we will most likely will eat tomorrow. Things ain't what they used to be but grateful everyone is healthy and safe.

• mojomom
    4 years ago

We’re having ham, deviled eggs, homemade mac and cheese with some nice cheeses, baked beans, asparagus, carrots, fruit salad and cream biscuits with honey butter. Pre dinner milk lunch (a family fave) and smoked salmon apps. DGS wants cupcakes for dessert. In order to avoid a special trip to the grocery, I’m just making do with what I have in hand. We probably will be having leftovers for a while and about Wednesday, I’ll cook some beans with the leftover ham.

We almost just punted on a big Easter dinner this year, but for the sake of DGS, aged 3 barely, we wanted to make it festive for him. It’s expected to snow tomorrow and fresh flowers are out so the table will be whatever I can do to make it festive.

• Related Discussions

Easter dinner

Q

Comments (5)
    Yum gandle, your easter dinner sounds so good. DH and I took a short , early morning drive around the neighborhood. It is amazing, even after the drought we're having, that the trees, bushes and flowers are blooming. Beautiful. I fixed "sghetti" (family spelling) and meat balls with freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese. Then I planted some parsely (sp) and chives. Watered my Easter Cactus, that is blooming right on time, despite my irregular care. Our family is working on a family Christmas project for next year, and DS sent some info for that project, and said Merry Christmas in spring.
    ...See More

How I survived cooking Easter dinner when my oven died

Q

Comments (6)
    Very funny - in retrospect of course. Your story reminds me of the year my turkey was cooking very well until I opened the oven door to baste, only to find that the oven died. DH rushed the turkey over to my inlaws to finish cooking. Sides were modified to cook on the stove top and grill. However, that year was a breeze compared to the Thanksgiving that we required a visit from our local fire department. I am still trying to block that particular memory. LOL Thank you for sharing your story. I always try to remember my mom's mantra: when God gives you lemons, make lemonade!
    ...See More

Help! Too many for Easter dinner....buffet or sit down?

Q

Comments (9)
    We have 20+ for Easter and Thanksgiving every year, with a lot of young adults there. And I have a smallish galley style kitchen. As others have suggested, we always do buffet style serving with butter and condiments on the tables. Some of the things I do that make it easier are to set up drinks on the patio and appetizers somewhere away from the kitchen. I used to put a table in my office for the teens/tweens that was very popular - they liked being in there by themselves and preferred that arrangement. Sometimes I set tables out on the patio with either heaters or fans, depending on the weather. The bratty teens/tweens have grown to be such charming, intelligent and fun people that we all prefer to have them sit with us, and they keep that whole end of the table laughing. So no more tables in the office. Have fun enjoying your family at Easter. At last count we're having 25 people, possibly 27. I can't wait! This post was edited by daisyinga on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 17:40
    ...See More

Appetizer to take to Easter dinner?

Q

Comments (19)
    Sleevendog, the avocado pit works for guacamole, but I think the issue is really more the lemon juice and the edamame and how it bleaches out the color a bit. Goes from that bright wonderful green to something less bright. I recently made a salad with red quinoa, farro and fresh garbanzo beans a friend found for me at a farmer's market in Seattle. The next week, with no source for fresh garbanzos, I made it with edamame. I used lots of lemon juice and on day 2 of both salads the green color had faded to look much less appetizing.
    ...See More
  • ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

These menus sound delicious! I am feeling like a slacker because all I picked up was a ham steak. Side dishes TBD.

• User
    4 years ago

Mtn, a 7 layer salad is a sort of a Cobb salad in layers. And I LoVE the idea of a Muppet Mimosa! We are huge Muppet movie fans and now I almost wish we had something to make a Muppet Mimosa with. Actually it would be fun to make something like that and get it back into juice boxes to serve!

The menus listed here all sound good to me—including the left over pizza 🙂 At this time last year I did not know if my husband would live another month. I did not even remember knowing there was an Easter last year until I went back to my journal and read that my very elderly mother made a full Easter meal of ham, potato salad and deviled eggs and she and my adult children brought it to the hospital where we ate in the family room on the ICU floor. DH was only allowed one visitor at a time. My daughter was only able to stay in the room a couple of minutes at a time before feeling ill. DH is now at home and mostly recovered with a few lifelong physical deficits, so Easter this year is truly a miracle of rebirth and renewal.

• hhireno
    4 years ago

I don’t eat most traditional Easter-related foods - ham, lamb, deviled eggs, chocolate, jelly beans. Honestly? I’m relieved that this year I don’t have to host the in-laws and make their traditional Easter dinner. A bright spot of the quarantine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

My kids like thinly sliced ham in a sandwich, but aren't crazy about roasted ham, no idea why. And they like lamb, but grilled with tzatziki and balsamic onions, L, T on pita. So not very Easter-y

Wish I had a good deep trifle dish for a layered salad!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For us Easter is leg of lamb. Ours is coated in mustard, cooked to medium. There will be potatoes, beets and carrots roasting in the oven as well. Leeks, and a watercress salad will round out the main meal. Chocolate cake with a raspberry coulis for dessert.

Kswl2, I am so sorry for what you and your family went through last year.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

The menus do sound wonderful and I hope that everyone is still able to enjoy their holiday.

Kswl as someone with a DH who’s also had his health issues this year, I can totally relate to your sentiments. Going through something like that is life altering and puts what’s really important into focus. I’m glad he’s on the mend.

With the chemo, DH’s appetite has been a challenge lately because not much of anything tastes good to him. I asked him what he’d like to have for Easter dinner and he landed on home made mac and cheese so that’s what we’re having.

We have a zoom party set up with family that is in California & Texas later tonight. That should be fun.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

Just DH, youngest DD, and me. Haven’t had such a small group for any holiday in 27 years! We are grilling steak for dinner, with potatoes and whatever veggie is in the fridge. I think we still have some broccoli. DD made cookies yesterday so I guess that’s dessert.

Oldest DS lives about 20 min from us but we haven’t seen him since the end of Feb. Tomorrow is his bday so the 3 of us are going to his apt — will stay outside, 6’ apart — to visit and give him his gifts. While we’re there, we’ll face time with middle DS in AZ. I’ve found it especially hard to have him so far away during this time, maybe it’s just knowing I can’t get to him or vice versa should he get sick. Working alone from his apt and being isolated has been hard for him. He’s 24 and generally very active and social. Anyway, looking forward to a brief virtual family gathering!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

We just watched the neighborhood children hunt eggs in the front yards. Kids and parents did great with social distancing. Fun to watch them enjoying the morning.

All the menus sound wonderful! Just DH and me, maybe the first time ever that it’s just been us on a holiday? Sigh.

Steak, potatoes and grilled asparagus. We have milk and ice cream so may make milk shakes for dessert. I’ve been craving a shamrock shake since I missed the one I usually have in March.

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

Love that so many are doing *something* to salvage the holiday!

When I was growing up, the easter meal was brunch-- so for the occasion, I had planned to make eggs and asparagus (one of my favorite comfort meals) with mini frozen potato gratin. As usual though, I wasn't hungry this morning so I didn't bother to make it. I am thinking I will make it for dinner one of these nights soon. It's only me here -- so not likely to do anything special for dinner. Maybe a lemon and asparagus pasta. I will celebrate spring if not easter.

Mtn - I am like your kids, I like a very good ham sliced thin on a sandwich but not a ham roast or steak or similar. It's the fleshy texture.

Hhireno - I am so with you. Easter is my least favorite food holiday. I don't like ham, chocolate, sweet candy and especially not deviled eggs-- or anything that combines eggs and mayo! I like eggs and mayo on their own but not combined.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

We usually go to my parents for Easter, where my Dad traditionally makes Sicilian lamb. We obviously can’t go this year so I ordered a standing rib roast from Fresh Market. I was hoping to have asparagus with it but they were out when I picked up the roast on Friday. I’m making mashed potatoes and green beans with it instead. We never buy dessert but I decided to order a pie from the bakery. I didn’t want to have to worry about having the right ingredients to bake something as we are low on eggs. I want to preserve them for my boys, who like them for breakfast, until I go to the store again on Wednesday.

I sorta wish I had planned a brunch menu instead and just had a light dinner later but too late for that now!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

So here's my tablescape. One problem. I am looking for that filter on my phone, the one that makes it look like you ironed the table linens? Please advise.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

You just made me laugh out loud!

lovely table, Mtn.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

This made me very emotional.

My two DD’s are together in my NY home while we are still in Florida.

Oldest took charge of Easter and kept up our usual traditions.

This Corona is taking a toll on me. Can’t help but feel sad.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

Awe, I’m sure that means the world to you. I have no problem staying home, it’s not being able to spend real quality time with my daughter and son in law that bothers me.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Exactly Lukki

• User
    4 years ago

Love those small vases of daff, Mt, and your center rabbits. Are those topiaries? Could you zoom in on them for a photo?

FWIW I think a ”freshly ironed” photo filter is an idea whose time has arrived!

Eld, do I spy stuffed mushrooms and bloody mary’s in your photo? Clever girls. 👍

Maddielee you win the prize for best Easter photo of 2020! The mask already is iconic for our time.

• Kitchenwitch111
    4 years ago

I usually host a big casual Easter party for extended family -- over 30 people most years -- with an egg hunt for the kids and a gigantic food buffet spread brought by everyone. This year it's just me and my dog so I ordered a lamb shank with polenta take-out dinner from one of my Main Street restaurants. I having a Zoom meeting with some family peeps at 6pm so we'll still "see" each other.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Mtn, I make the more traditional 7 layer salad, aka, Pea Salad. I don't add boiled eggs though, and you can add anything you want.

What makes this salad better is a generous sprinkle of Salad Seasoning under the layer of mayonnaise.

I no longer make it in a trifle bowl or any deep bowl. Because the salad needs to be stirred right before serving if you do it that way & it makes a huge mess and awful leftovers. If you mix the salad in the bowl before serving and and save it for leftovers, you get limp lettuce and juice at the bottom.

I make mine in a glass baking dish so I can scoop out all 7 layers at once without the mess and being able to get all 7 layers on my plate. Gently mix together on your plate. The leftovers are still good the next day.

7 Layer Salad

In glass baking dish add the following in layers:

1 head chopped Iceberg Lettuce

1 bag Frozen Peas, rinsed and drained to thaw

Chopped Bacon or Bacon Bits to taste

Parmesan Cheese, grated or from the can, semi-generous

Chopped Green Onion

Sprinkle Salad Seasoning over all, be generous

Spread Mayonnaise over all.

Cover well, and chill for a few hours or overnight. Don't mix before serving or you won't have any leftovers and that would be such a shame. :)

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Haha no Kswl, that’s a fruit smoothie. She also intends to make a carrot cake. Lots of texts about where my mixer and blender are kept.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Beautiful tables above and I love the mask, Maddielee. Every meal sounds delicious, whether simple or complex. I’m sorry so many of us are missing loved ones.

Presentation is not my forte (think the female version of Jamie Oliver in the kitchen who whips the towel over her shoulder and says “right, here you go...” with the food still steaming in the original skillet). I make my 7-layer salads like Oakley, in a baking dish with lid. I don’t mix—just serve like lasagna and store leftovers.

It’s a versatile salad. Over the holidays, I used leftover turkey instead of bacon. Below I used misc vegetables including spinach, celery, red pepper and spring onions. There are more vegetables in it than appear in the photo. But you must always have peas... they add a great texture. And I only use mayo in mine.

eta I also don’t measure any of the ingredients and it often ends up tasting like a sub sandwich sans bread so it does have a rather universal appeal.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Just dropping in for the bunny close up. I have had them at least 10 years really can't remember

• hhireno
    4 years ago

This thread seems an appropriate place for this -

Easter Egg Hunts: proof your children can find things if they really want to

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Nothing special here. Usually MIL comes over for brunch.

We are making pulled pork in the crockpot since it's been raining since about 1 p.m. I got a pork shoulder and other items delivered this week through one of the local farmers. I was able to do Zumba by Zoom this morning.

I made a lemon meringue pie yesterday. I thought I had a crust, but I did not. I also didn't have any crisco and not a lot of butter. My niece suggested I make a pretzel crust, and I had never heard of that. It is perfect with something like lemon or key lime. It's super easy--just 2 cups pretzels, 2 TBS sugar, and 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter. Also an adventure in that I had soupy meringue and had to figure out what to do about that. I added lime juice but I've also put cream of tartar on my next shopping list.

Pretzel crust

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For some reason Houzz (?) is not letting me thank everyone. So thank you for sharing!!

YUM I love pretzel crust!

re: the 7 layer salad - love it, but have never had salad seasoning in it and never just plain mayo to top. It is a yummy salad - I haven't had it in years!!

It is sad/different to not be with family - all gathered round the table today. But I am determined not to "be sad" in knowing that we are doing what is necessary to stay safe and hopefully overcome this virus!

I was able to "see" my dad through the window at his facility and that really made me feel good. It was good for dad too.

I enjoy family holidays and having everyone here. However, my sister most often hosts Easter. As Christians, we celebrate the religious meaning of Easter, so it is a very special holiday to us. Although different, it's been a good one.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

mojomom, what is a milk lunch? A glass of milk?

I suppose back in the day we had lamb or ham, neither of which appears on my menu anymore.

I think tonight I'll fix shrimp in lots of garlic, butter, and wine, over pilaf or fettuccini. It'll come to me.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

We kind of forgot it was Easter. :) There's a ham and a turkey in the freezer but it was too late to thaw them, so I baked a homemade chocolate cake and DH is making chili dogs and french fries. Truth be known I'd rather have a good dog over a big meal.

• rubyclaire
    4 years ago

Pretty simple Easter dinner here - ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus and coconut cake for dessert. Do tulips count as Easter decorations? No "ironed look" filter needed here as I took the easy placemat route.

I love seeing how everyone spends the holidays - even in these challenging times.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Feathers, that looks good! Do you use any seasoning for the mayo? I have to confess, I use bacon bits because I'm not a bacon in food type of person. Love bacon on the side or bacon sandwiches, but don't put it in my food where it will get soft. lol

• czarinalex
    4 years ago

We were able to 'zoom' today with our respective families. Even my 94yo MIL! It was interesting walking her through installing the zoom app on her tablet. She is in assisted living, so no visitors for almost a month. She loved seeing her great great grandchildren who live far away. I was able to 'zoom' with my brothers on the east coast, my brother in Mallorca and my sister who lives 10 minutes away but I haven't seen in 3 weeks. The 5 of us haven't been together for a very long time. All in all, it was a very good Easter. And we haven't even had dinner yet!

Love seeing all the beautiful tablescapes! I don't have anything even remotely as fancy.. but maybe I'll light candles.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I never heard of a 7 Layer Salad until this thread. I looked it up and it’s very attractive piled high in a trifle dish. But how do you serve it without lots of ingredients falling or flying off the top and all over the table. Unless that’s part of the fun. ;-)

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Rubyclaire, what a beautiful table!

Oakley, I just use mayo. My MIL, from whom I got the recipe (I wasn't raised with this dish) sprinkles a bit of sugar over the mayo, which I always forget to do. No other seasonings but I can see how it might enhance certain leanings, like diced chicken and parmesan cheese for a more Caesar taste. I slightly overcook the bacon, and we don't mix the salad, so it stays on top and doesn't get soggy even in the leftovers.

Bunny, I've never understood the logistics of serving it in a trifle dish. Certain members of my family, who shall remain unnamed, would simply skim off the top 3 layers (bacon, cheese and mayo).

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I remember layered salads from volunteer cooks books long ago. always a hit. here’s one from my library’s cookbook.which must be 35 years old. Evidently I thought it was Excellent. Considering the last four ingredients, no wonder it tasted good. Thank you, Mrs Graham Marx, whoever you’re are.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

Your tables are lovely and very creative. I’m having a bowl of pea soup!

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Our 7 - layers salad was iceberg lettuce but I don't remember the dressing. It didn't have eggs or mushrooms but did have sliced water chestnuts and the other things peas, bacon, grated cheese.

Our Easter dinner was roasted bone-in chicken breasts, yam and pineapple casserole and steamed carrots. I made a dutch apple loaf and sliced that for dessert.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Everyone’s tables look lovely. Glad you were able to make an effort to keep Easter dinner or brunch or whatever special. We ordered a curbside Linner of shrimp, salad and cookies from Bonefish for a late lunch. Talked to all the kids and grandkids. Then had a Zoom cocktail hour with friends at 5:30 so that was a nice diversion from the storms that were passing through all afternoon and evening. We mostly had very heavy rain.

edited to add, I used to make those layered salads too but didn‘t add meat. Or a pint of mayo! I did sometimes stir in a spoon of ranch dressing mix to the mayo for a little flavor.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RubyClaire your room is lovely! Beautiful table and I love the chair with checks.

As I mentioned, I haven't made a layered salad in years (or eaten one), but I believe my recipe had a bit of sugar and vinegar mixed into the mayo. I could not eat just plain mayo as salad dressing. I have a relative that used to make this quite often and it was delish. She confessed to stirring in a bit of the BACON GREASE (along with the sugar/vinegar) into the mayo. HAHAHA

I always used a large glass bowl/trifle dish. Someone asked how you serve without stirring - tongs work well or a large serving spoon or fork. You kind of scoop it out.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I like the ingredients in the layers, but no thank you to mayo + sugar.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

Easter dinner was ham, pineapple sauce, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus with carrots. It was DH’s birthday as well so he opened a nice bottle of wine. After dinner we had a virtual gathering with family. We promised a family Easter dinner when we can all celebrate together again.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Bonnie what a pretty tablecloth!

Bunny, The sugar part is a bit scary to me. I understand using honey or maple or fruit in salad dressings, esp a spinach salad.... but i think i'd leave it out here.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

Mtn, that layer of mayo doesn't work for me either. I guess I'm just a vinaigrette person.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

The seasoning is actually called Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme Seasoning. Look at the reviews. I have to have some sort of seasoning with the Mayo.

No sugar on any salad unless it's a fruit or Jello salad. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

One of my favorite salad has maple syrup in the dressing. (and mayo and oil and champagne vinegar)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apple-dried-cherry-and-walnut-salad-with-maple-dressing-107064

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's not just sugar. Have you ever had the broccoli salad with mayo/vinegar/sugar dressing? It's a tangy (almost sweet/sour) type dressing. I also have a pasta/broccoli/red grape salad that uses a similar dressing. Maybe it's a southern thing?

Oakley, I have used salad seasoning in a spaghetti/pasta salad recipe I have. I've never seen the "pinch" version, but I haven't bought it in a long time. I started using zesty italian recipe, so no more salad seasoning.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Virtually all commercial dressings have sugar. And some homemade dressings have a little balance of vinegar and sugar (or something sweet) The thing that throws me is, in the photo of the recipe above, you sprinkle each salad layer with sugar, salt and pepper. Seems like a LOT of sugar compared to the soupcon used to balance most recipes, and also ... texturally?

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

I think I made the layered salad once many years ago for some kind of party. At the time I was quite put off by the iceberg lettuce (ick) and the mayonnaise, to say nothing of the bacon, but it was easy and could be made ahead of time. Haven't thought of that recipes in years, but thanks to this thread I went on a search of ways to modify the recipe to make a healthy version, similar to what Seagrass mentioned above. I dunno though, it just doesn't spark joy for me so I think I will pass.

Thanks for GC Science I MUST make a lemon meringue pie today. Now that sparks joy and is a better use of sugar!

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

I don't eat the 7 layer salad (because of sour cream and bacon-- I just don't like bacon in salads).. but also, it's not that popular here. My ex sister-in-law used to make it but I don't think she used sugar.

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

I've been substituting pure maple syrup in recipes in place of sugar. I use very little. It's a personal taste thing and depends on what you've become used to, like salt.