SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: Cydalima perspectalis, Box Tree Moth

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I want some information. This horrible plague is an Asian moth whose caterpillars feed on box: it arrived in Europe in 2006 and in Italy in 2011; last year it arrived in my garden. There it killed eight box plants, most of them established and thriving, and damaged many others. I didn't do anything, as I've never done pest treatments and it took some time to arrive at the idea; also I wanted to see what happened. This year I saw the first, heavy, infestation at the start of April, and realized that if I wanted to continue to have box in my garden--there are dozens of plants there, an important presence--I needed to eliminate the moth. Also for the good of the world around I need not to be a center of distribution of this devastating insect. I haven't noticed local infestations outside my own garden.

In most of Europe the moth has no natural enemy to keep it in check; last year at least my healthy population of insectivore birds didn't accomplish much, and I don't know whether they'll willingly prey on the caterpillars.

Without doing any research in the matter (bad, I know) I began spraying with a product of extract of Bacillus thuringensis, spraying heavily infested plants top to bottom, lightly infested ones with a spot treatment. Apparently the Bt was a good choice (it had been casually suggested by a nurserywoman), according to my horticulturalist sister and an organic gardening site I saw subsequently. I was wondering if the Bt is available in other forms, and wondering if it's damaging to animals that eat the dead caterpillars. I read that I'll need to repeat the spray twice more at intervals of ten days, which sounds reasonable. Even if I succeed in stopping the current infestation, which I'm by no means confident of, I know I'm going to need to keep a close eye on my plants all this year and probably a few years to come. This is a give-no-quarter enemy that I take seriously; nothing else would make me spray, something that in over a quarter century of gardening I've never done before.

Ideas, information, advice are very welcome.

Melissa

Comments (14)