SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

To hone or not to hone: revisited...

The matte finish of honed stones is a better fit for my home and personal preference. The perla venata quartzite I picked is polished, but the fabricator will hone it (for a fee). They, along with my contractor, say that the stone will not seal as well with a honed finish. Is this true? Will the maintenance be different? Will the method they use to hone make a difference? Are stones honed at the quarry "better" than stones honed by fabricators? (Too late for that choice now, but maybe not for someone else) They have a honed sample for me to see and approve so I when I go, I'll take some red wine, ketchup and lemons. Anything else I should take?

From everything I have read here, staining and etching are separate issues. Please correct me if I am wrong: sealing issues deal with red wine and ketchup while etching issues deal with lemon and lime juice. (The stone passed the lemon juice and piece of glass tests when I first looked at it.)

I am really torn about what to do. I don't want to see the pin dots of the UCL led strips reflected on the countertop, yet I don't want a maintenance nightmare.

Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!