SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenn1120

Lavender Star Flower Bonsai Dying (Grewia Occidentalis)

laurenn1120
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi.

I bought my first bonsai tree at an Asian Culture Festival, right now it is dying - my grandmother was the 1st to point it out. At the time I was told to water her so that the soil may be damp, the pot has two holes at the bottom so as to let drainage of water. Also, the sunlight? They said direct sunlight would equal blooming flowers, and to prune the ones who were almost drying up, as it would help the plant and the other flowers. (Didn't mention fertilizer)

My grandma and I were very happy, the plant was healthy for two weeks or more... maybe a month. We placed it right in front of a window, it would get direct sunlight during the mornings and not as much in the afternoon. We watered it accordingly. The plant was replete in flowers and always had 3 or 4 in full bloom simultaneously. Once it started to show signs of drying up my grandma took the plant outside to the patio where it wasn't getting direct sunlight at any hour of the day (roof) and watered it like before.

Now, it has dry, yellowed leaves which I cut today after watering it with about 4 Oz, the excess drained out, leaving the soil moist. I also cut off the buds which were a bit less green than before and some leafs, the branches still have a green color inside so there's hope!!! It is evident, to us who have seen the plant's decadence, that even the buds' growth has been stunted: they were half an inch before (almond shaped) and are now much, much less than a watermelon seed and shriveled up.

I'm sorry about the large paragraphs, please help us. I don't know what's wrong, I'm assuming it's fertlizer, we have not used any fertilizer on the plant. I was wondering if I could use 'flower food', just a thought. Though I'm sure bonsai plants need special care. If this is the case: which fertilizer should I use and could I find it at any store?
Thank you for your time!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting