SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Strip along South Facing Wall

oberci
11 years ago

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and gardening in general and am really seeking to learn from the more experienced! Bought this house last year, and started researching proper gardening techniques etc since then.

There's still a lot to be done but what I would really like to tackle as soon as possible is the eyesore that is this wall. No, I don't want to remove it because I appreciate the privacy, and well that's just too much work. There's a 2 ft strip along the south side (the side in the photo) and another 2 ft strip on the north side facing the garages, which has Calla Lilies happily growing in it although I hope to improve that side too, but let's leave that for later.

There was some sort of ugly plant along with bermuda grass growing on the south side that we tore out when we moved in. Some remnants are visible and not sure how to remove it entirely. The soil itself is either just extremely dry, or really sandy (I think the latter, I can post pics). So I figured I would just dig it out about a foot down and fill it in with topsoil. Thoughts?

As for what to plant...please please help! Some sort of vine would be nice esp if it can climb up the wall. I was thinking something like Bougainvillea mixed with some more green ivy type plant. Do I need to attach some kind of trellis support for this or do they climb up on their own? Is 2 feet away from the wall too little space to plant something like that? If so, one option could be to plant near that far end and maybe on the corners nearest to have something trailing on the edge at least...

What else can I plant even as far as non-vines that would survive in such a bright area that gets so hot? For reference about color I like the pinkish orange tones of bougainvillea "orange ice" and both deep purples and light blue-purples.

Any and ALL suggestions would be super helpful! From prepping soil to plant suggestions!

{{gwi:6508}}

Comments (7)