SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherokee_

Kalanchoe growing blacks spots inside leaf that bubble up

cherokee_
9 years ago

I have a Kalanchoe that is growing black spots inside the leaves that form transparent bubbles on top, like its pressing the leaf tissue upwards as it grows. Uncommonly their will be black spots on fresh green stems, however no where near the frequency of on leaves. On the woody parts, I have seen no evidence of this problem.

I do not have a camera that can focus well enough on the spots to show you all. But under a 10x magnifying glass, the spots look like little collections of black spheres that form irregular patterns; sometimes they are roughly circular, or oblong, and other times they are strangely shaped.

With a sharp object, I can pick off the top of the tiny bubble. It both sounds, when ripping, and looks after being removed, as if its a part of the leaf itself, and not something of a residue, or shell, like scale.

I suspect this is some kind of systemic fungal disease, however I cannot pin point what it might be with a cursory search of kalanchoe diseases and pictures associated with those diseases.

I would like some advice on how to handle this, as it seems topical applications of anything that are not absorbed and permeated throughout the plant are not going to be useful, and I dont know if anything like that even exists.

Aside from removing the affected leaves, what can I do about this to save the plant?

Comment (1)