SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgeery

Bonaire Durango evaporative cooler-- Thumbs up

bgeery
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I just installed a Bonaire Durango evaporative cooler through-wall in my uninsulated, 1000 sf, 1955 house. I love it! Installed in the back bedroom, and it shoots straight down the hall to the rest of the house

It was 92 yesterday, and humidity was 10%. The Durango was blowing 58 degree, fresh, clean air. House dropped from 82 to 70 in under two hours. Ran it in fan only mode that night, to bring in the nice 56 degree night air.

I had to frame it with 2x3 because of the uneven stucco surface, and then fill the gap with spray foam. To match the depth of the plaster, and because I had to cut the diagonal corner brace, I used 1/4" drywall over OSB. Once I finish the drywall and add 1x4 trim around the inside part of the unit, it will only stick out two inches into the room.

I didn't want the bleed water just draining next to the house (and have no use for it,) so I made a french drain from a 10 foot section of PVC with holes drilled in it the last 5 feet. Around the PVC I used a drain sock. Laid the PVC in a bed of 50 lbs of fine gravel, added another 50 lbs of gavel on top, and covered it all in another layer of drain sock material. Pipe tape was used to protect the above ground section of PVC.

I used a stainless braided water heater hose to connect the Durango to the french drain.

Here are the power consumption figures for a 4500 CFM Bonaire Durango:

Off. Watts / Volt-Amps / Power Factor:
Manual Mode 0 / 0 / 1.00
Remote Mode .3 / 2 / .15

Fan mode. Watts / Volt-Amps / Power Factor:
Low 191 / 222 / .88
Med 251 / 287 / .87
High 325 / 400 / .81

Cooling Mode. Watts / Volt-Amps / Power Factor:
Low 207 / 245 / .84
Med 265 / 312 / .84
High 342 / 426 / .80

Total project cost was $800. SCE has a $200 rebate, dropping the total to $600.

Comment (1)