SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The "Spring Flush"

Oh my. I can only hope yours is/will be better. I pinned all my hopes on this being a wet and wonderful winter followed by glorious rose blooms with healthy and happy bushes which would bounce through the summer heat. We all know the rain, at least in the southern part of California, was far from what many of us had expected and hoped for. On top of that, I decided to take out my big Mutabilis, little realizing that the front garden view would be a wasteland without it. Today I did receive Aloha and Blush Noisette, which are the replacement roses for Mutabilis, but I wonder how many years it will take for them to fill their allotted space.

A lot of my roses have mildew and/or blackspot and yellow leaves ,and so far not too many roses are blooming. The alyssum that is everywhere (intermixed with weeds) has already begun to wither, which usually didn't happen until some time in May. Nothing is what it was, and then there was also the canker episode, which forced me to take out some mature roses, so that the garden looks even more bare. I think all this can be explained by the word DROUGHT. The garden can't be fooled into thinking water from the hose is rainwater, and neither can the whole garden be drenched the way rain does. It is no longer a healthy place for roses or much of anything else.

I no longer think my garden will be anything like it was at one time. My hopes and dreams have assumed a much more modest form. A small bouquet of roses on the dining table still has the ability to bring joy, and when I walk through the garden at dusk, when the light is soft and dim, and I see only the outlines of the rose bushes in Tea Rose Row and the surrounding countryside, and when the air is cool, I can capture part of the dream and be grateful for what has not gone out of my life.

Comments (10)