SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Improving water pressure to outside spigot

greasetrap
9 years ago

I would like to improve the pressure and flow rate to at least one of my garden hoses, and was wondering if anything can be done about it. I have a well with a 15 gpm pump and constant pressure system. The water comes into my house via a 1" plastic-type pipe (maybe pvc?) and connects to a small pressure tank. The pressure gauge on the tank reads about 67-68 psi. If I connect a hose at this point, I get a full 15 gpm flow with fantastic pressure, particularly using a fire hose-type nozzle.

Unfortunately, the water quality is pretty bad (acidic and lots of iron), so it has to be filtered extensively before use. The tank is connected to 3/4" pipe, which then becomes 1" before running through an acid neutralizer (limestone) filter then a 16 gpm cartridge filter, and finally a water softener. I believe the acid neutralizer and softener are both rated at 12 gpm.

Shortly after the filters, the line becomes 3/4" again, and a 1/2" line runs off to an outside spigot. Water for the house then runs through a cartridge-type carbon filter (10 gpm) before branching off into hot and cold water lines, and running into the house.

Water flow and pressure in the house is generally adequate for our needs, though we have to be careful that too many people/appliances aren't calling for water at once.

My main objective at this point though, is to get more pressure and water flow to that first outside spigot. While I get enough flow there to run a sprinkler, it's really not strong enough to do everything I want, like hosing caked up salt off my car or hosing dirt off of the house.

Would running 1" pipe all the way from the pressure tank to the spot where the hot and cold water line split off, and possibly running a 3/4" line to the outside spigot help this situation? I could also increase the capacity of the carbon filter by putting on a bigger housing, but that wouldn't help with that first outdoor spigot. Longer-term, I could also think about installing a higher capacity acid neutralizer and softener, but that's obviously a more expensive solution.

I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions that anyone might have.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz