SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_ca

"Medicare Demystified"

Lindsey_CA
9 years ago

A few minutes ago I saw a post on the Health forum from about six weeks ago where someone asked if anyone had any advice about Medicare supplemental insurance. I am about 70% of the way through reading a Kindle book (price is $5.99) entitled Medicare Demystified: A Physician Helps Save You Time, Money, and Frustration, written by Ronald Kahan, an M.D. who specializes in Dermatology (although his specialty doesn't come into play in this.)

I turned 65 last summer, and although I do have Medicare Part A (hospitalization), I do not have Medicare Part B (medical) because I am still covered by my husband's group insurance through his employment as a state employee. But, he is retiring soon and that means I will have to sign up for Medicare Part B. I, too, had a zillion questions and much confusion about Medicare supplemental insurance (also referred to as Medigap insurance). The state retiree system has a whole bunch of choices for Medigap insurance, and I wanted to ensure that I made an intelligent, informed choice.

I highly recommend this book. No, you don't need a Kindle to read it. Amazon has free readers you can download onto virtually any device -- desktop computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, etc.

This book clearly explains Medicare (often referred to as Original Medicare), including Parts A (Hospitalization), B (Medical), C (Medicare Advantage), and D (Drugs), as well as Medigap Insurance (Medicare Supplemental Insurance). It gives a lot of different scenarios and explains how they would affect you depending on which coverage you do or don't have. Considering the escalating costs of medical treatments, $6 is well worth it to avoid the angst and extra money paid out that would be the result of making the wrong choices.

Comments (4)