SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Considering buying an odd lot

mrspete
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We've been planning with the assumption that we'd build on the land we've long owned -- a 45 acre farm. However, we're kicking around the possibility of buying a lot in the city instead. Why? My husband (who is a bit more into the buying-a-lot idea than I am) has two legitimate concerns: 1) we farm the land, and cutting off a portion of it decreases our crop income. We don't make that much from renting the land, and we aren't going to actually live on more than an acre. 2) across the road and across another large field is a new school. We are in an area that is GROWING FAST, and it is common in this area to build additional schools next to existing schools (this is practical: for events, two parking lots are available, schools can share expensive baseball fields, cuts down on busses needed to distant areas, etc.). He is very concerned that we'll build our house, and then the county will take the land against our will and expand the school. And/or, our county likes to place parks /playgrounds next to schools; I grew up with the teacher taking us across a small side road to access a city park during recess. This could happen; however, two other farms are also adjacent to the school, and to be truthful, ours is the least accessible to the school -- I kind of think that even if this happened, they'd pick one of the other guys.

Anyway, we are looking at some lots and kicking around the idea of building somewhere other than my land. Will we do this? I don't know -- he doesn't know -- but if you know me at all, you know that I come up with some oddball ideas and reject most of them ... on with my thought of the day:

We have found a lot in a prime neighborhood. The neighborhood is mostly 1.5 - 3 acre lots, all with nice, all-brick houses, all nicely landscaped, a smattering of pools. Expensive houses for this area. They've been building in this neighborhood since the mid 1990s, and only two lots remain unsold (though a few others are standing empty).

It is connected by a walking trail /bike or golf cart trail through the woods to the growing "Town Center" area, which includes the library, the senior center, shopping, a pharmacy, and restaurants. This is a nice area with plans for expansion, and I think that we would enjoy being close /connected to it.

The neighborhood really is nicely located -- and if we should ever decide to re-sell, we would be the ideally situated smallest-house-in-the-nicest-neighborhood. This neighborhood is in a country setting, but it's only 3 miles from a major road, and 30 minutes down the road is the biggest city in our state -- so it's kind of a best-of-all-worlds location: Quiet, country lifestyle, with quick access to big city amenities.

Now for the oddball question: The lot in which we're interested is 1.23 acres -- not huge, but plenty big enough for the 1900sf house + pool that we intend to build. The lot contains some moderately-large trees, and it is already cleared and ready for building. City water and sewer run by the lot, but we'd have to pay to be connected. The front of the house would face North-East, and the back (which we value more highly in terms of light) would face South-East; the garage would fall on the preferable side of the lot, blocking the cruel Western sun.

But it is sort of wedged between the main road, a twist in the road, and a cul-de-sac road. It's definitely the lot that was "cut out" last; I'm sure that the designers portioned out the prime lots first, and said to themselves, "Well, this is the best we can do with this oddball corner that fits where the roads come together." It is a rectangular lot ... but instead of the rectangle facing the main road, one of the "corners" touches the main road ... thus, the road frontage is small -- I'm horrible with measurements, but I'd estimate we're talking about no more than 30 yards of road frontage ... and then it widens out. It's a bit like a cul-de-sac shaped lot ... but it's not on a cul-de-sac. I'm thinking we could have a small front yard, then the pool and back yard would set in the wider, open area, and we'd have a shed /pool equipment building behind the pool in the back corner where the lot narrows again. Like I said, odd.

So, would you go for this lot?

I'm attaching a picture, though it's not a very good one -- they cover up the road frontage with an identical map. On purpose? Probably. The road that comes in from the left is the "main drag" through the neighborhood. The road that appears on the right is a cul-de-sac road. So our driveway would have to be located at this intersection area. This is not a problem: People don't cut through this dead-end neighborhood going to other places, and these are not busy roads.

I am concerned about difficulties of bringing in utilities through a small area.

I am concerned about the driveway being forced into that small road frontage, and -- a related concern -- I am willing to shift the garage to front-facing, which would probably be necessary.

I am aware that headlights from the other road would shine right into my guest bedroom, but I'm not really concerned about that -- just ready to install both plantation shutters AND good, thick drapes.

The lot hasn't sold because it is definitely "lesser" than the rest of the lots in the neighborhood. However, at this point the builder is "done" and is selling the lot cheaper than he sold the others -- lots cheaper. I could write a check for it right now, even if I didn't negotiate -- and I always negotiate.

So, my question is, would you buy this oddly-situated lot?

Comments (10)