SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Airline pilots and antidepressants

Alisande
9 years ago

As of five years ago, airline pilots are allowed to take antidepressants. When I read this tonight, I was surprised and not surprised.

I was not surprised because antidepressants are so widely prescribed. Once formulated to correct chemical imbalances in the brain, they seem to be prescribed for just about any reason today. Had a fight with your husband? Hate your boss? Racked up some nasty credit card debt? Have a pill. Antidepressants are mainstream, no doubt about it.

But I was surprised because these psychotropic drugs do alter brain chemistry. Often it takes a number of tries before doctor and patient arrive at the correct drug in the correct dose. And all the popular antidepressants that work on serotonin (Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, etc.) carry the warning of increased suicidal thinking and behavior in children, teenagers, and young adults. Is there a clear cut-off? Does a 20-year-old think about suicide, but when he turns 21, it stops? Seems unlikely.

The other thing . . . if a physician feels a pilot is unfit to fly, should he be mandated to notify the airline, and patient confidentiality be damned?

How do you feel about these things?

Comments (32)