SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phases

New house came with great Koi pond! Debating how to handle maintenance

phases
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So we bought this house about 6 months ago and it came with this really great Koi pond that they put in when they built the house. So, it's 17 years old, and I understand the 3 big Koi have been there for most of it. There are what I assume are lots of goldfish too, a nice size catfish, and lots of other smaller regular fish I couldn't identify, and minnows.

It has a natural spring feeding it on one end and going back out the other. Fall/winter I'm told (and proving true so far) a heavier flow than summer. The previous owners didn't do anything in the way of filtering or any other care like that and I've got a lot on my plate so, while I'd like to, it's not high on my list right now. I am debating a vacuum for the bottom tho, all the leaves and gunk.. I assume it should come out every so often. Then again, nature doesn't get vacuumed. I just hate when they get startled they kick up so much mud and make sit less pleasant to watch them.

Old owner said he didn't do anything other than feed them during warmer months and scoop out algae as needed. No other maint.

Anyway my main question right now is, how would you deal with the weeds/grass growing in and around the rocks around the border? Obviously I don't want to round up, I also don't want it growing and making things worse. Or do I care? Heck, I dunno. Maybe it's fine! Or maybe I should get down and just pull as they get out of control.

Just lookin' to say hi to the community really, spark some convo. Thoughts? :)

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus