SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deepdrop

How much can a Wolf rangetop be changed?

deepdrop
9 years ago

I have a late 1970's propane 36 inch 6 burner Wolf rangetop in my kitchen. I was thinking of replacing it but rather than spend $3000 or more on a new rangetop, I'm wondering just how much I can do to fix the things I don't like about this one.

I had it serviced once and "tuned up" and it did little to make it nicer so I'm just going to do this myself.

I'm going to clean it thoroughly. That will help.

The igniters take 5 or more clicks to light. I assume they can be replaced, but will they work any better? Can they be "upgraded".

I hate that it's soooooo hard to get a low flame. It's always a challenge to get it low without making it extinguish. With this range you turn the knob all the way to light, then back it off to a lower flame until it eventually goes off. This is unlike current models which you turn a little to ignite, then all the way goes to low, so there's no risk of turning too far and extinguishing the flame.

Is this a system that's unchangeable? Can I make mine work like the newer ones I just described? Short of that, all I can do is get a heat diffuser so I can simmer at a higher flame, but that sounds like a pain.

The old plastic knobs are pretty ugly. I wonder if I can upgrade the knobs to something nicer, maybe metal?

If anyone has done something like this, I'd be grateful for any advice. Otherwise, who would I go to? I'm very rural so there are no high end kitchen stores around. Would Wolf be amenable to this kind of toying around? I doubt it.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (5)