SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westminstress

Tomatoes on the north side of raised bed?

westminstress
9 years ago

Hi all. This is only my second year vegetable gardening. I had a pretty good year last year (beginner's luck) and am back for more!

My raised bed has a trapezoid shape - it's about 3 feet on the north side and 9 feet on the south side, and the width at the widest part is about 6 feet.

Last year I planted cherry tomatoes along the south side. They did very well, growing like crazy and producing like mad, but they were beset by some kind of blight or mildew that I never was able to identify. The leaves were terrible but thankfully it didn't seem to affect the fruit.

Given the disease last year, though, I thought it might be good to rotate the crops a bit this year and try growing my tomatoes on the north side of the bed instead. I was thinking I could grow more shade-tolerant crops like lettuce, carrots, radishes, swiss chard, beets next to the tomatoes - but will this work?

If this sounds doable, I would plant peas along the south side where the tomatoes were last year -- hence the urgency of this question! There's snow on the ground right now (I'm in Brooklyn) but warmer temps are on the way, and I'm hoping to get the peas in the ground next weekend.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

Comments (20)