SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rogerv_gw

T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?

rogerv_gw
9 years ago

I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11 siding.

1. It looks like you could replace rusty z-flashing without replacing the siding panels assuming that the panels aren't rotten. What I see is removing the nails along the bottom of a panel that is the top panel along a flashed seam. Then pry the top panel away from the structure enough to remove the old z-flashing, and insert new z-flashing. Then renail. Does this sound feasible? If not, why not?

2. Can aluminum z-flashing be used in place of galvanized steel? If not, why not? I know that the aluminum z-flashing is made, but the "how to" references that I see are to the galvanized stuff.

3. As an interim cosmetic solution, I'm thinking that I could cover the rusty z-flashing with a 3" trim strip, and caulk it at the top so no more rain would get in to the z-flashing. This would stop the rust from spreading, and getting onto the panels. Then I could paint the panels and trim strips, and I wouldn't see any more rust. I've seen this done as a cosmetic feature, "concealing z-flashing", and I assume that it would also work for my purposes...

I've also been considering re-siding using vinyl, but would like to avoid that step if I can. I like wood, but I'm tired of rusty z-flashing bleeding rust onto the panels. I've also considered cedar shingle siding, but the T1-11 that I have is mostly the 3/8" variety (cheap *smile*).

Any help out there?

Thanks very much!

Comments (11)