SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_webster

Trailing Jade (Strongylodon macroboneeds) help! Leafs brown & crinkly

Grace Webster
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello there,

I received a lovely flourishing trailing jade for Christmas, which has since been showing worrisome signs.

For a while, it was hanging in a very cold room and later placed on the floor (before I received it as a gift). I've hung the plant next to an east facing window, where it gets a decent amount of sunlight during the day. However, while placed on the floor, all the leaves on one side started to turn brown and crinkly. Since hanging it by the window, the side closest to the window has died off completely!

The room doesn't go below 0 degrees Celsius, and the temperature outside has since risen to just above 0 degrees.... but the leaves keep dying!

Also, I've only watered the plant when the soil was completely dry. Since Christmas it's been watered only 3 times.

If you have any advice for my beautiful jade, please let me know! Also, I've kept some cuttings off the ends that died off... what is the most effective way of replanting these?

Grace

Comments (4)

• Grace Webster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Strongylodon macrobotrys is commonly called Jade Vine however it's quite different to the plant you have. Your plant might be Kleinia petraea which likes similar conditions to "Jade Plant", Crassula ovata.

This link has photos of Jade Vine.

Grace Webster thanked tropicbreezent
  • jean001a
    9 years ago

0 Degrees C is too cold. Needs higher temperatures.

Grace Webster thanked jean001a
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Higher temps for sure.

I see no drain holes in your hanging pot - if true - that's a big problem for more than 1 reason.

Cuttings of plants close to circling the drain seldom root - it's a lack of stored energy reserves thing, but when you do wish to root a healthy plant, let the cuttings callus for a few days and stick the cuttings in a highly aerated medium you can keep damp - not wet/soggy, and site them in bright light but not direct sun until they strike.

Al

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor