SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonigans78

To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question

Shan
9 years ago

Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate every landscape design decision you've ever made...or never made.

Here's our multi-faceted dilemma. We have a cute little Cape on a suburban city block that has been clear cut of all of its pine trees for power lines (this happened prior to move-in). What's left is a very barren landscape...no privacy, tons of sun exposure, no wind breaks whatsoever.

We have been slowly working to remedy this...but it's been slow because we also had to completely amend all of the soil in the gardens, add some landscaping around an unfinished patio, reseed and rehab more gardens, add trees in the back, and on it goes. One can only invest so much time and $ in a single season...

The front landscaping is the bit we are hoping to tackle next, but it leaves my mind swimming when I start to mentally tackle it. I've planted perennials in spots that I'll systematically split and allow to spread, so I do believe the "canvas" is set, but am looking to add finishing touches. Perhaps two ornamental trees (grafted rose of sharon and a smaller J. maple) to frame the house/landscaping at the two ends? There are Annabelle hydrangeas that will come up behind the boxwoods on both sides as well...in time...(The Amber Jubilee Ninebark you see spilling out of frame will be transplanted.)

A windbreak on the western (left) side is also missing. Arborvitae hedge, maybe? We did plant a prairiefire crab and a dwarf burning bush (but they're young yet, as you can see).

Would love any and all suggestions from those who are NOT ME. We are in Zone 5-6 (right in the middle, a warmish 5, let's say).

Hit me with your thoughts - including any criticisms. As a first time home owner and new gardener, I'm not overly sensitive here. I want to learn. :-)

Comment

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm