SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Does this look like "sun" burn to you?

cfox248
9 years ago

Here I post in my other thread that my Meyer Lemon tree is doing 100% perfect but that's not *quite* true recently. It is underneath a powerful fluorescent light fixture that does get a bit hot by the bulbs, and the aluminum shield - Here in Zone 3 I knew I would need some kind of supplementary lighting! Lemon tree has been thriving, and has nearly tripled in size over the winter beause of it. I've been watering and fertilizing with Foliage Pro once per week to keep up with its crazy growth. Maybe once spring rolls around I'll put up a "last winter / this winter" comparison because as some of you may remember I nearly killed my tree last year and it had 2 leaves for the duration of winter and ultimately lost its trunk.

Then, it seems, I let it get a bit too close to the lights. The leaves nearest went a bit yellow and blotchy over a few days, and those yellow blotches turned into brown spots. whoops. Raised light fixture, but not before a whole bunch of leaves were affected. Tree has continued to grow like crazy, with the new leaves being unaffected. All of the leaves that had gotten "burned" continued to yellow, then brown, then fall off, as they are going to do. This leaves me with a humorous looking strip of bare branches in the middle of the tree, as all growth since then has been great looking and for the most part the older bottom leaves are also unaffected.

It's been inside since probably October, and hasn't had a problem. A few battles against Scale and mites once that was very easily won with a shower and some insecticidal soap. Plant seems okay otherwise. Here is an album of some pictures of recently fallen leaves, a leaf still on the branch (I marked all of the rest of the affected leaves so I can tell if it's something that's spreading) and the actual tree/shrub which is now not directly under the lighting. Now, it seemed pretty intiutive that the cause is the light, given the circumstances. But I thought I'd get a weigh in from some others. The damaged leaves have been yellowing and dropping which is expected but still alarming to me.

http://imgur.com/a/r0IaL

-As a disclaimer about the super dropy plant next to it, it's not wilting because it's in poor care. It is a Brazilian Rain tree and it closes its leaves when it's dark or raining, and it just was watered in the sink so it closed up.

-Courtney

Comments (8)