SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My Former 2 lb. 14oz Seven-Month Preemie Turns 21 Y/O Today . . . OMG!

LynnNM
9 years ago

Twenty-one years ago today I went severely eclamptic and had to have an emergency C-section to save us both. By severely, they scored me at a 9 out of 10. You die at 10 they later told me. I had almost no kidney function; my brain swelled; I had fluid in the pericardial sac around my heart; scary high BP and fluid in both of my lungs. Thankfully, I was already in the hospital with severe preeclampsia, so they could get me to the OR quickly.

DH got to the hospital just in time to see our daughter born, leaving a whole waiting room full of patients behind. Emily was born weighing only 2 lbs 14oz. I was frightened out of my mind with worry for her! We all were, but she was a strong little girl. At only 4 weeks old, she started turning over and pulling the wiring, etc. off the ceiling of her NICU incubator! Her nurses and neonatologist were shocked and told us they'd never seen anything like that before. After the second time, they had to put preemie mittens on her to keep her from disconnecting everything. The nurses in the NIC unit called her their little fairy baby. She looked like one, with it's wings tucked under her. They stuck cute little bows in her hair every day using KY Jelly to hold them in place (seriously-LOL)!

Emily came home 2 months later, a whopping 5 lbs 4 oz. I still am amazed and so incredibly grateful that she survived. Today our sweet daughter is a wonderful, happy, healthy, college junior with dreams of becoming a clinical psychologist. We are so proud of the amazing young woman she's become. Time flies. It seems like only a few years ago that this all happened. Our babies grow up quickly, though. Too quickly maybe, but I'm celebrating our happy outcome today. Happy 21st Birthday, Darlin!

A pic of Emily with her big brother:

Comments (19)