SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Training Up

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

After some poking and prodding on my regular forum, I'm bring my question to you tree (and shrub?) experts.

I have these two Sweet Viburnums (Viburnum odoratissimum) that I have been limbing up to eventually provide shade for this side of my house. It is the north side and a tricky spot for planting as except for the first 12-18" from the wall, it will be in full-sun all summer long here in Florida, but in winter it is full shade. These Viburnums are some of the few plants that I was able to find that can handle both shady and sunny situations, but I saw some at a local demonstration garden that some were being used to provide shade for tropicals. I figured I could do the same thing and change this sunny patch into at least a Part-Shade if not Full-Shade area once the Viburnums are large enough (They can get to 20 ft easy). Mine are currently about 5 ft tall and after sleeping and creeping they are apparently now in the process of leaping as 2 ft of that was put on over the past 3-5 months.

My question pertains to the training process. I initially pruned away the larger, lower branches that I didn't want and I also pruned out any that looked like they would end up crossing or growing toward the house. Once they get above the roof-line I might let them spread out more to shade the roof a bit. After a reading a recent article, I believe I may have limbed them up a bit too much for the first go. Oops. Now I check on them every few weeks and use my thumb to rub off any new lower growth as well as pick off any coming from the base. I'm curious if there will ever be a time when I don't have to do this or, at least, not do it as much?

Thanks.

Edit: PS, I intend to eventually have them limbed up to about the 5 ft height they are now so I don't have to stoop too much to get under them. I'm a bit over 6 ft myself and have a bum back.

Comments (11)