SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

I'm in Milwaukee WI--question on "un" winterizing my roses

nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not sure if I like this new change on gardenweb. I was here I believe in December of 2014, and now the whole site was changed. Anyway, I winterize my roses by putting collars around them & filling with old mulch & some leaves. March is such an "iffy" month--never knowing if you are going to get Spring weather or more brisk Winter weather. Would it be too soon to take my collars off? Also, since I didn't hardly cut the bushes down, because last season was horrible for most rose bushes. I did not want to stress them if we had another awful winter. People said the dried out leaves on the branches would come off during the winter. Guess what? They did not. Thus, I need to cut the bushes down some to remove these dried out dead leaves. Can I do this yet? One last thing....personally, I don't think our winter was as horrible as the winter of 2013-2014. What do ya'll think? Do you think the Midwest roses will do better this Spring and Summer? I know I had rust last season (never remember getting that in 20 some years), plus a lot of blackspot, more than normal. I'm hoping this season will be kinder to the rose bushes. Help anyone? Thanks.

Comments (9)