SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Questions on winterizing my rose bushes

I don't have as many rose bushes as many of you do--only 13 bushes. I moved into our home that had 12 bushes over 20 years ago. Some died, and I replanted various ones. I have two bushes that are the originals since we moved in. Some are about 10-15 years old. A couple are "babies" from this June. Anyway, years ago, I was told by various rose people to prune/cut down bushes in December when they have gone dormant. Then I would put rose collars around them & fill 1/2-3/4 full with mulch. Then the rose community here in Milwaukee changed it to not cutting down/pruning til Spring. Here's my this season dilemma--most of my bushes (this season) have been afflicted with what looks like rust. These same bushes in years past had gorgeous foliage til the dreaded blackspot hit some of them in mid-late Fall. If I had to pick each rust leaf off all the bushes, I'd be picking forever. Wondering if at the end of this season, it would hurt to go back to the old way of cutting/pruning the bushes down a lot in November/December. This would get all the affected leaves off & don't have to worry about these leaves still hanging on in the Spring. When I used to cut/prune the bushes down quite a bit in November/December--they still grew quickly in the Spring.

Comments (11)