SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Found a tagged Monarch today

jane__ny
9 years ago

It was on some Milkweed flowers. I could see a white tag on its wing. I called my neighbor who is experienced with butterflies and he caught it in a net. We wrote down the numbers and I called.

Heard back from a woman from the University of Georgia who is involved with a research study monitoring the effects of OE on non-migrating Monarchs. Did not know where the butterfly was released until she looked up the number.

Said she would contact me with the information. Asked if I was interested in tagging and swabbing newly released Monarchs for this disease. She said the study shows 80% of Southern Monarchs are infected.

Also stated, that Tropical Milkweed should be grown here and not cut down over winter. She said that was bad information. They are hoping to find the cause and cure for this disease as the southern butterflies could help increase the ultimate numbers, which has declined.

She said she would send a packet of information on the studies going on and if I was interested they would send the swabbing kit and tags.

Jane

Comments (7)

Sponsored