SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_centralokzn6

Woo! Hoo! Monarch roost of 1,000+ found

linda_centralokzn6
15 years ago

The wind started blowing from the south on Friday, and hasn't stopped since. Front supposed to come in tonight, with rain, and possibility of thunderstorms thru tomorrow. Tuesday, the winds change back from the north, and should help to move LOTS of Monarchs stuck here due to the winds. Temps 83 degrees- Wind- 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph.

Checked out local roost NE of town. Monarchs were everywhere!!! There is a large stand of old shelter belt trees going east to west for a quarter of a mile, with a large stand of crownbeard underneath, and to the north of the trees. Everywhere we walked flushed out about 25 to 50 Monarchs nectaring in the crownbeard, or roosting in the trees. Several places the Monarchs were hanging, nectaring about 3 inches from each other. Easily, there has got to be 1,000 to 1,500 Monarchs in this area!!! It's the closest, I could ever imagine to what Mexico would be like. Most of the Monarchs were suprisingly in good shape. A few had minimal wing damage. Very few had severely damaged wings. What an awesome sight to behold!!! You can just imagine my disappointment not being able to take decent photos due to the wind! I wonder how many other large roosts are around that I am unaware of. No SNAKES, thank goodness, Dawn!

200+ Monarchs noted west of town in a stand of trees with lots of crownbeard around tonight.

100+ Monarchs in my garden and trees waiting for the winds to die down.

Superb day for finding Monarchs, but I'm sure that the wind is really taking its tole on them.

Comments (9)