SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davez7anv

species tulips

davez7anv
9 years ago

the red is a new seedling less than an in. across.

Comments (22)

• User
    9 years ago

..how sweet, and cheerful..... mine aren't out yet, a few I have are similar to yours..hopefully they won't be long now....

• posierosie_zone7a
    9 years ago

Lovely! Thank you for sharing.

• Related Discussions

When do species tulips show up?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have some that look like Little Beauty that just finished blooming here in Z6. Most of my species tulips bloom in early- to mid-spring, and there are still several that have not bloomed. The foliage is easy to miss. If you don't see them in the next month, I would assume the worst, but they may pop up soon.
    ...See More

species tulips question

Q

Comments (1)
    John Sheepers carries a nice selection of species tulips. Maybe you can match yours to a picture at his site at the link below. Here is a link that might be useful: Species Tulips at John Sheepers
    ...See More

Deadheading species tulip

Q

Comments (2)
    sprengeri was unaffected by leaving for seeds, as are the lady tulips and batalini. I think that the foliage is essential to build up the bulbs for next year so as long as the plants are able to die back unimpeded by other shading plants or competing weeds, all really should be well - no-one is dead-heading in the wild after all. You could consider adding a weak liquid feed after flowering
    ...See More

Species Tulips T.sylvestris, Florentine Tulip,1597

Q

Comments (1)
    Always look to the conditions where a plant is native. Tulips are native to full sun (definitely not under a tree) and open, fairly dry conditions after bloom. No shade! And they don't like a lot of rain. Have you read Anna Pavord's book about the history of tulips? Get it from your local library. If you understand their origins, you will learn why they are not thriving for you.
    ...See More
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, I'm so jealous. Voles have made tulips impossible here--lilies too.

• User
    9 years ago

The sprengeri tulips are poking out of the soil - this will be the first year (after a 5 year wait ) that the bulbs are mature enough to bloom. The species tulips are excellent value for money - increasing and reliably returning, year on year. Along with the cheerful sprengeri, I cannot praise these little jewels enough, T.batalini - with those pale glaucous leaves, are still some of my favourites, along with the lady tulips - chrysantha and new to me this year are our native woodlanders - tulipa sylvestris.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Deer have made tulips impossible here. I used to be able to grow them (back when the orchards tried to shoot deer instead of fence them out)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I love the species tulips...far more than the hybrids (which are too big and overblown)..lovely.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Very pretty, daves10.

We don't see species tulips in flower here until late April/early May.

For us, the only problem, like with the crocuses, is the voles, but I just plant more in the fall.

Among our most cheaply available and dependable is Tulipa tarda (below; May 9, 2014).

Bang-for-buck, I really like multi-headed, variegated-leafed, Tulipa praestans 'Unicum' (May 4, 2013).

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I like all the little tulips too! As SB says, they bloom in May for us. The little Tarda ones make great companions with the big Ivory Floradale (a cross between Fosteriana and Darwin tulips) that fades from yellow to ivory white over its long bloom period. The Floradales have come back, bigger and better, for me every year since they were planted in fall 2002. Turkestanica tulips are another favorite - they look a bit like the Tarda ones, but are taller and the flowers nod a bit before the open wide in the sun. Not the greatest of pictures... :

Another favorite is 'Little Beauty' - one I keep meaning to order more of, but always forget by fall! When the flowers are open, the centers are blue with a white border! Check them out on Google images. This clump in the backyard dates back to 2002:

• davez7anv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

left undisturbed species tulips, and crocus will multiply and seed themselves. some fade away, i have very few clusiana left, but its genetic material shows up in most of the seedlings. because i put some new shrubs into the species tulip area i have many fewer this year but by next spring they should have gotten over the sulks.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Woody.

David Tomlinson, at Merlin's Hollow, has sheets of crocuses in spring. He's said that his crocuses seed into the wet leaves he spreads over his garden each fall. Unlike he and you, I've never noticed crocuses that have seeded. Perhaps it's because of the extensive cultivation of the perennial beds that I do.

I know that David likes to leave the beds alone (except for the addition of wet leaves in fall), that is once he's planted them. You mention non-disturbance as promoting crocus seeding as well.

Of course, some of our disturbance is also voles. David puts out beer cans containing warfarin ( hole in can slightly enlarged - but nothing other than voles can get in). He says this manages rather that solves the vole problem.

Overall, I'm thinking that the voles aren't so bad. They certainly contribute to the aeration of our clay soil and I believe that there's some evidence that they help make nutrients available to the roots of the perennial plant that bloom after the spring bulbs.

• User
    9 years ago

Campanula.... I love the clusiana's... I intend to get chrysantha at some point...I have been grown 'Lady Jane' for years and never have enough of these...

..congratulations on your sprengeri successes... a garden near me has them and I admire every year as I walk past....

...really enjoying everyone's photos...

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Marloreana, I wondered where you bought bulbs from? For ages, I used Peter Nyssen but now buy them from Gedneys. Pretty generic (you won't find sprengeri) and you have to order in larger amounts (minimum tulips, 25, say....but the prices are really excellent, as are the bulbs. I am dithering over Galtonia and liatris at the moment...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Campanula - I tried Galtonia a couple of times but gave up long ago - totally destroyed by snails. The pictures looked so nice .....

• User
    9 years ago

..since I've been at this garden, Campanula, I haven't got round to ordering bulbs on line, so I pick things up as I see them.....I think we are blessed with some great nurseries, and rare plant fairs, in our area.....but for next year I will be ordering from Broadleigh gardens in Somerset, Pottertons in Lincoln, and probably Nyssen's - thanks for that I hadn't checked them out before.... between them they should satisfy my needs I think.... Broadleigh have sprengeri in small quantities.... I thought Gedneys were wholesale...not sure...

...Pottertons have a good choice of Nerine's... and I really want more of those...

...I'm really looking forward to drawing up a list for later this year - no more room for roses...

...hasn't it been dry lately,..? can't remember last time it rained....

edit.

...and of course it's pouring down today...

• User
    9 years ago

are we near each other, Marloreana (in the east anglian hinterland?)
    Yep, we are pretty lucky as far as great nurseries go...and there are always the HPS and NPhG fairs (just spent less money than I feared at Monksilver's 'Spring Thing' but am still astonished by my eldest's profligate galanthophile madness moment - Primrose Warburg and Tubby - woosh- £50 gone (I stuck to primroses and pulmonarias myself for a measly £20).

• User
    9 years ago

...I'm tempted to say I'm astonished, but I would pay that for roses or some other rarity.... so who am I to judge..?.... I prefer Crocus's though...I have to say...flowering a little later as they do, just as I poke my head out the door for the season...

...I'm up near Wisbech...which is quite nice, they have good plant auctions and open gardens.... lots of nurseries too.... the one at West Acre east of King's Lynn is always worth a visit...it leaves me bankrupt but never mind...

... my best local I would say is this one below.... in case you're ever travelling through the area...

...Rachaels Plant Outlet at Tamar nurseries... they sell retail at wholesale prices and I'm always picking something up.... at West Walton, near Wisbech.... I think we're very luck to have this... amongst a number of others....

Rachael's...

..I also consult this page rather a lot....so much to peruse...

Rare plants...

...I know you like species roses... I don't tend to grow these as they don't suit my current garden, but 'Fruhlingsmorgen', 'Complicata' and 'Stanwell Perpetual'...would be 3 of that ilk - wildish looking... that I've enjoyed so much in the past.... and would have again if I had the room.... I grew them in Cornwall...

..kind regards...

• davez7anv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mixing it up. there are going to be a myriad of tarda very soon. they seem to be very resistant to interbreeding, the clumps all remain single species.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

The tulips look great. I'll be keeping my eyes open this fall in order to add a few, I have a couple spots which should be perfect!

• davez7anv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

some very red tulips

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, cheers for the info, Marloreana. My eldest has to buy a huge tranche of plants and, as usual, wholesale often means buying massive multiples but I guess we might check out Tamar nurseries ourselves.

Mmmm, have lingered on the Rare Plants site myself, along with Cotswold Garden Flowers...and Plantworld or Special Plants for seeds (especially now Chilterns have gone a bit sideways).

• User
    9 years ago

The reddest tulips I grow were bought for the almost unpronounceable name (tulipa Vvedenskyi).

• davez7anv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

not a tulip but a pretty thing-hoopskirt