SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nana8_gw

Species Tulips T.sylvestris, Florentine Tulip,1597

nana8
15 years ago

I have some of these in my backyard, and there is a large area at the Kentucky Garden Club Headquarters, in Paris, Ky.. They rarely bloom. They are planted under a large Ginko tree in the arburetum and never bloom there.

Ocassionally I will get a few to bloom up close to the foundation of my house, but never more than a dozen or so. Most of them are planted under my smaller Ginko by the previous owner, but they never bloom there. I have tried adding limestone to the area to encourage the bloom, but nothing helped. Jefferson grew these at Monticello, but we are sure struggling here just to keep them alive. We do not mow the area till the bloom time passes, but to no avail. Any answers out there in GardenWeb Land? Has anyone gotten them to grow at home?

Marge

Comment (1)

• ginny12
    15 years ago

Always look to the conditions where a plant is native. Tulips are native to full sun (definitely not under a tree) and open, fairly dry conditions after bloom. No shade! And they don't like a lot of rain.

Have you read Anna Pavord's book about the history of tulips? Get it from your local library. If you understand their origins, you will learn why they are not thriving for you.