SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Sconces vs pendants over kitchen sink

Our current kitchen has a single sconce over the sink. It is meant to be a downward facing sconce and is mounted at a height that I get glare from the bare bulb depending on where I am standing (not right at the sink, but as I walk up to it). It is placed in between two windows, centered on the sink. We have turned the shade the "wrong" way to prevent the glare issue but that means the inside of the sconce is always dusty.

We are planning to replace the windows with three bigger windows. I was orginally planning to out two sconces in between those new windows. But now I am wondering if I would be better off with pendants to try to avoid the glare issue?

Or is this more a function of height of the fixture?

I'm not finding a ton of fixtures where the bulb is completely enclosed. The house is a 1926 French Revival and we are trying to make choices that are somewhat appropriate to the house. We are planning to use a central schoolhouse flush mount that is very similar to the orginal fixture as well as some recessed can lights and some under cabinet lighting.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Comments (18)