SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Maple vs. Cherry Cabinets

greasetrap
9 years ago

My wife and I met with our KD/GC yesterday to choose cabinets. He uses Candlelight Cabinetry, and my wife and I were pretty much in agreement on most of the details (Mission style with an Autumn Glow finish). The one sticking point is that I preferred their Cherry cabinets and my wife preferred the Hard Maple.

In my opinion, the color of the cherry was slightly warmer than the maple (slightly more reddish) and I liked the grain of the wood. My wife liked the maple precisely because the grain was very fine and didn't show much. My concern is that the grain of the maple is so fine and so perfect, that it looks almost like a veneer to me. Although resale isn't a major concern for us, our KD did say that cherry is a classic, timeless wood that will positively impact resale value. He also added that we couldn't go wrong with either choice, though.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for us, so I'm concerned that whatever choice we make will grate on the one who ends up compromising (which will probably be me!). I understand that cherry darkens over time. Does the same happen to maple?

I'd appreciate hearing any opinions that others may have on this.

Comments (27)