SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbobul

First year raising Mason Bees...some advice if you please

dbobul
9 years ago

So A buddy and I split an order of Mason Bees from Ruhl Bee Supply. I had never really known that much about them but when he said he was going to get them, I joined in on the order. We are both zone 6.

So I ordered Brian Griffins book The Orchard Mason Bee and I'm about 25 pages from its completion and I still have a few questions that I was hoping someone else who has some experience with these pollinators.

1 - I'm in a fairly urban environment but my property is fairly well maintained with a diverse selection of flowering plants and trees. I would say its somewhat sparse outside of a 200 foot radius from my property. Should I expect much success? Im going to be releasing three tubes, so approximately 9 females 25 males.

2 - Should I remove the cocoons from the tubes they were shipped in? Or leave them inside of their original homes? The book never really goes over this step at all. It would be easier to simply slip the three tubes into the top of the house I already have, but if its suggested I will put the cocoons into a small box with a hole cut in it like I've seen many on YouTube do.

3 - If you are in my zone, northern NJ, and have raised Masons before, I'm curious what varieties of plants you feel you've had the best success (where you know these bees frequenting the most)? Im going to turn a dormant area of my yard into a heavily populated flower garden to help these guys jump start, but was curious what else I should add in addition to what I'm planning.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County