SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Vessel advice: Specifically BIG bowl for raising dough

rhome410
13 years ago

I gave up trying to find the previous thread for those of us with Vessel Addiction. It was entitled "Calling all Vesselarians" and I can find it on a Google search, but not here to add to it.

My bread bowl has always had the hairline cracks/crazing that the glaze on ceramics sometimes gets. Didn't know if it was a problem for raising dough in, so just assumed not and went ahead. (I know...Dumb, probably, but water under the bridge and we've survived.) Now, though, there is discoloring under some of it, which makes me fear that either it's getting mold or mildew in the porcelain or color is leaking out of fruit we keep in the bowl...Either way means it's a way for bacteria to get in or come out of those cracks...?

Since that bowl is a bit small for the batches I make anyway, I've been in search of a new bowl. Do any of you have recommendations for a BIG bowl for bread dough raising, other than Mason Cash? I actually love their bowls and the price for the 9 qt on Amazon isn't bad, comparatively, but I'd want the creamy white color and I think they only have the beige. I know the color shouldn't really matter, but if I'm going to spend for the bowl, I want to love how it looks, too, since it will sit out. I think I saw a white one in Seattle, but for a much bigger price than for the Amazon beige. But I really want to know if there are others I should consider. Cream/White or colorful (solid, stripe, or other) would be great.

thanks!

Comments (51)