SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave92653

Removing fireplace and chimney for a window wall

dave92653
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I just bought a house in Southern California that I think would be a perfect candidate for a wall of windows so we can enjoy the view. The wall in question has a fireplace with a connected chimney that travels up the side of the house and through the roof line.

I am interested in removing the fireplace, fixing the damaged stucco, and reparing the roof line. I believe that the chimney is not part of the structural integrity of the house, but cannot confirm that. I don't get the keys for another few weeks, at which time I will have someone take a closer look.

Any ideas on how much work and cost is involved in removing the fireplace? I have an idea of cost for the glass wall, but have no idea how much it will cost for demo and repair.

Also, would there be a way to remove the portion of the fireplace and chimney and support it about 12' up with some sort of footer tied into the structure of the house. I envision tieing that into some type of patio cover that would extend out onto the patio. Is the weight of the upper 2/3 of the chimney too heavy for something like this?

Any insight, ideas, and help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

(It's the chinmey in the middle of the hosue, not the one on the side)

Comments (5)