SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdayen08

Please help with backyard drainage problems!

jdayen08
9 years ago

Hi,

This is my first post on this site but I saw a similar post where you guys offered some great advice. So my wife and I bought our house in the suburbs of Houston last August and obviously in August there are no signs of stagnant rain water so during the summer we have no issues at all with drainage.

So the problem is that during the winter and spring the ground mostly in the backyard becomes saturated with rain water after a medium to heavy rain and stays for a couple of days. The house was built in 2005 so the land IS graded downward into a small swail which travels down the side of the property to a larger swail running parallel to the street and empties into a large cement drainage pipe. So My neighbor and I both have this problem, mostly the water stands between the two properties at the fence line and has a hard time travelling down to the road but there are also other places in the yard that have standing water as well.

I don't think I need to regrade the lawn but I do feel like I need to either add an underground drainage pipe around the perimeter of the property or a french drain or something. Please take a look at my pictures and let me know what you guys think. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Photos were uploaded to my Google Photos account Here

Comments (5)