SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Layout for multiple cooks - Critique please

beachem
9 years ago

Hi,

We are a multi-generational family. My dad loves to cook and is in the kitchen nonstop. I also cook and had to make things late at night such as yogurt. My mom is in a wheelchair.

We had a kitchen leak pre-Thanksgiving and was forced to gut our entire kitchen and family room. Since I decided to repipe the entire house to prevent any future leaks, I decided to redo the layout. Our old layout had the island in a hexagon and awkward location which basically cause one person to block the entire area for half the kitchen.

Based on the recommendation of GWers, I bought the Stages 45 sink so two people can work at the sink. I've also upgraded from a 36" rangetop to 48" Blue Star rangetop.

When my siblings visit (all the time), they were clustering around the island with laptops everywhere on a tiny section of counter (24").

Due to budget constraints, we had to scale down from a Blue Star range/oven to just the rangetop. I moved the existing double ovens to the end of the long L vs. the short end where it was originally next to the fridge area. My brother is concerned that now the oven is too far from the cooking area.

I designed the layout based on the food movement and just don't have any room to put the double ovens near the stove without running the aesthetics since our new 66" fridge area ate up the short end.

What other mistakes did I make? The island might be a bit too far from the stove. Next week, when I'm back from the hospital, I'll make templates from paper/cardboard and tape it down on the floors to test the layout.

I'm putting in an antique settee under the window so people can sit and chat with my mom in her wheelchair when she's hanging in the kitchen. The settee is low and small. When you are standing at the sink, you'll look out over the family room.

I'm still stumped on the blind corner a bit.

Thank you all for your help.

Comments (8)