winter wonderland look I am going for. Whatever bedding I choose will
need to cover the box spring. I am okay with or without a bedskirt, as
long as it is long enough.

I have Sherwin Williams Iceberg blue
walls, white trim, and medium gray berber carpet. I'd like to add a
silvery gray throw blanket to the foot of the bed. What are your
thoughts--should I go with a comforter, duvet, or bedspread? Below is a
pic of my room and then many options I've found. I'll be accenting in
white, gray, silver, and a touch of gold. I'd love your input!

Here are a bunch of choices. I'd select white in each one.....

http://www.steinmart.com/willow-6-piece-luxury-bedding-ensemble-queen-zid25-48680037/cat-25-catid-Bed_Retail_Set?var_id=25-48680037&vva_SizeCode=01209&vva_ColorCode=100&SelectionCacheKey=100|01209|&_t=pfm%3Dbundle

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jasmine-white-10-piece-comforter-sets?ID=1315549&CategoryID=26795&LinkType=#fn=PRODUCT_COLOR%3DWhite%26TEXTILES_BED_SIZE%3DQueen%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D29%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D7

http://www.wayfair.com/Chic-Home-Isabella-9-Piece-Comforter-Set-CS07-CHDE1486.html

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/City-Scene-Triple-Diamond-White-3-piece-Comforter-Set/9423637/product.html

http://www.wayfair.com/Downright-Ambience-Cotton-Sateen-Duvet-Cover-AMBDUV-DWN1039.html

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-damask-solid-500-thread-count-duvet-cover?ID=479094&CategoryID=25045&LinkType=&swatchColor=White#fn=BED_SIZE%3DQueen%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D189%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D7

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/liz-claiborne-bianca-border-4-pc-comforter-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004140182&cmvc=JCP|SearchResults|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId=&rrplacementtype=item_page.dpcontent1

http://www.jcpenney.com/linens/madison-park-vivian-7-pc-comforter-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002780493&catId=cat100250063&deptId=dept20000012&Nao=72&pageSize=72&pN=2&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=white&dimCombo=Color|Bed+Size|Bed+Size|&dimComboVal=white|queen|full-queen|&currentDim=Bed+Size&currentDimVal=full-queen&;dyncharset=UTF-8&urlState=/bed-bath/shop-bedding/comforters-bedding-sets/white/queen/full-queen//N-1nopfzZ131Z1z141nxZ1z141gp/cat.jump?cm_re=S2--CAT--COMFORTERS

http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/trending-now/deco-glow/liz-claiborne-aria-chevron-4-pc-comforter-set-accessories/prod.jump?ppId=ens6004960024&catId=cat100250063&deptId=dept20000012&Nao=72&pageSize=72&pN=2&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=white&dimCombo=Color|Bed+Size|Bed+Size|&dimComboVal=white|queen|full-queen|&currentDim=Bed+Size&currentDimVal=full-queen&;dyncharset=UTF-8&urlState=/bed-bath/shop-bedding/comforters-bedding-sets/white/queen/full-queen//N-1nopfzZ131Z1z141nxZ1z141gp/cat.jump?cm_re=S2--CAT--COMFORTERS

http://www.midnightvelvet.com/mobile/For-the-Home/Bedroom/Quilts-and-Bedspreads/maria-medallion-chenille-bedspread-and-sham.pro?omSource=SLI

http://www.wayfair.com/Chic-Home-Vermont-12-Piece-Comforter-Set-127-160-CHDE1435.html

**Unless Ivory would work in either of these...**
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/aubrey-22-piece-comforter-sets?ID=1407937&CategoryID=26795&zone=PDP_ZONE_A&choiceId=cidA40011-adc1f4fc-ab9d-4603-84a2-f13e3bea4a25@H7@Customers%20Also%20Shopped$26795$1407937&LinkType=PDPZ1_Pos2

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-collection-marble-flowers-9-piece-comforter-sets?ID=926081&CategoryID=26795&zone=PDP_ZONE_A&choiceId=cidA40011-1803aa4b-e3e6-458e-93cd-417080b5ab21@H7@Customers%20Also%20Shopped$26795$926081&LinkType=PDPZ1_Pos2

Comments (20)

• roarah
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the texture of the jasmine from macys but I must admit I am quite smitten with the old fashioned shape of the chenille maria medallion bedspread. The way it drapes all the way to the floor is reminiscent of the mounds of snow banks outside my winter window right now :). I miss bedspreads we do not see them much any more. I find them lovely!

jmdkc thanked roarah
  • lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"Whatever bedding I choose will
    need to cover the box spring."

You can cover it yourself with a fitted sheet, or staple upholstery fiber and foam over it like a slipcover. Make it match the carpet and vanish.

jmdkc thanked lazy_gardens
  • Related Discussions

Dishwasher Water coming onto my kichen floor right now

Q

Comments (11)
    "I hope the gasket isn't gone that quickly!" I doubt that's it. However, if it is, it's cheap and easy to fix. I know you're distressed about this leak. However, I have no doubt at all that its a simple problem with an inexpensive fix. You don't need a plumber. You need a DW tech. -- someone who understands the machine. I don't get "door leak" expensive-fix comment from bluekitobsessed unless they're talking about replaceing the entire door. Something's missing there.
    ...See More

Now...onto the hood

Q

Comments (5)
    Think it over whether you want a glass hood. They show every splatter. That does not bother some people. It drives others crazy. You know which type you would be. Also, the glass hoods tend to be flatter, and not capture and exhaust the smoke and grease as well as a more canopied shape. Futuro Futoro linked above is known for its sexy and elegant designs. Not so much for its actual effectiveness. Most of their hoods are of the flatter style. If you are looking for a hood more for the aesthetic than the functionality, then there are some glamorous hoods there.
    ...See More

dkny bedding red - what color walls??pics of awesome bedding

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow, that is gorgeous bedding. The red pattern is very intense and busy, and when paired with the black furniture the intensity will be magnified. I would go with an Ivory for the walls. You don't want anything to compete and overwhelm. What are your plans for the flooring for the room? Window treatments?
    ...See More

Grafting a Cherry - Royal Minnie onto Bing

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's some more pictures of the top taken 2 days ago: Here's the full tree:
    ...See More
  • Yayagal
    9 years ago

I like the Macys one too but I think you should invest in an upholstered headboard to give it the look you need, then drapes, then bedding.

jmdkc thanked Yayagal
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Love the chenille bedspread at Midnight Velvet. Also recommend a white or offwhite headboard of some kind.

jmdkc thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I wish there were a better description and photo of the chenille Maria Medallion! To me, that fits right in with the look you're after.

You given us so many choices, some comforters, some bedspreads, some duvet covers. Maybe you should decide what type of bedding most suits your needs first, as they are all so different.

jmdkc thanked Errant_gw
  • amykath
    9 years ago

I was thinking that maybe a deep blue at the end of your bed would be nice. It would make the white look so crisp. Plus, it would contrast but compliance meant your carpet. If you go with silver it could be very matcha with your carpet. Although, I could be wrong.

You can use a white quilt for your entire bed. Here are some ideas. I've also added a silver one. Hope I'm not posting one you already had.

jmdkc thanked amykath
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

Of the ones you've selected, I like the Jasmine and the Overstock Triple Diamond White sets. however, They're polyester (ugh) and comforters (ugh). I think it is wiser to go with a quilt/coverlet type of thing, or with duvet covers.

I'd say don't go at all with ivory. Stick with white if you want to do Winter Wonderland. And try to stick with cotton for comfort.

Here are two cotton quilts w/shams from touchofclass.com, also having a sale

jmdkc thanked tibbrix
  • jmdkc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am blown away by all these amazing suggestions and new ideas! You all are hitting the bulls eye! I forgot to mention that I will most likely be buying a headboard in the near future. Probably a tufted fabric in white, off white, or gray.

**aktillery9: I love this photo you posted--what is the name of it? where can I purchase it?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Steinmart, under quilts. Here is the link. I thought it would be beautiful folded at the end of your bed. It's on clearance for 59.00. Pretty nice huh?

Quilt

jmdkc thanked amykath
  • amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a lovely headboard for when you are ready. Actually 2 nice affordable ones.

Another. Both at Wayfair and under 250. The second is 172.00

jmdkc thanked amykath
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I like the Wayfair Isabella, but I would try to get just the comforter and not the set. I prefer a less matched bed.

jmdkc thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm with tibb, in that I would want to stay away from polyester. Natural fibers are so much more comfortable, unless you plan on removing your bed cover to sleep.

jmdkc thanked Errant_gw
  • Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tibb is right on mark with her suggestion to go with a coverlet. I really dislike comforters. I am not fond of duvet covers either. Your room is going to be beautiful.

jmdkc thanked Holly- Kay
  • jmdkc
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I I have decided on bedding (finally!!). I even surprised myself and decided to go with a quilt. However, the quilt itself is not heavy enough so I bought a second very thin silver quilt (feels more like a coverlet) to go underneath the white quilt.

Both the white and silver quilts are shiny and slippery (like a satin). I love the white quilt bedding as the main piece of bedding.

I'm not sure the best way to dress my queen size bed, so I am coming here for advice. Both quilts are 86 x 86. When they are on top of each other, they slide around because they are both like a satin material. Should I buy a blanket instead of the silver quilt? Or tuck in the silver quilt under my mattress? Or fold it at the foot of the bed?

The quilts do not cover the sides of the bed. I was thinking about going up to a king size in the white quilt or maybe in both quilts. Or just sticking to the queen size quilts and buying a bed skirt.

I also have that gray and white throw blanket (50 x 70) that I love! Thoughts on how to use that in making my bed?

Thanks!
  • seww1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If it were my bed....I"d have a white covered duvet over the entire bed with pillows and shams also in white and a quilt at the end of the bed. If you don't want to use a bed skirt to cover the box spring look for a box spring cover.

Do you have Ikea close? There are several white cotton duvet covers at Ikea and the inserts aren't very expensive.

Sue

jmdkc thanked seww1
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd say get the king and skip the bed skirt. I have a king Metalasse quilt on my queen bed, which I fold down at the top. I also have a plain white mattress cover on the box spring. my bed is like yours, just on one of those metal frames, no head or footboard. Saving up for the ones I want.

I would also not go with the two that are slippery. It will drive you bananas and you'll be constantly picking the top one up off the floor and it will be constantly moving. I doubt you want that.

The quilts in your pic, though, are really beautiful, very nice choices.

jmdkc thanked tibbrix
  • jmdkc
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, all!

Tibbrix-do you use a blanket under your quilt? I love my white quilt and want that to be the top layer so it shows off. It's just not warm enough on some nights.
  • jmdkc
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you recommend I use under the white quilt? A blanket? Or a cotton (non slippery) coverlet?
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

Actually, I only use the Metalasse quilt for my guests (I rent my house out). I'm much less forma for myself! But yes, when the quilt is on the bed, I have a blanket underneath it, which can't be seen because of the quilt. I fold the top of the quilt back and put two sets of pillows on top of it.

I don't dress up my bed for myself though. In the warm months, I have on the bed only that which I sleep under. In the summer, it's a white Sferra cotton blanket or I sleep directly under a thin 100% cotton quilt; in autumn and spring, it's a wool-filled comforter with a duvet cover, a white cotton percale Lily Pulitzer from Garnet Hill for cool but not cold nights, then an LL Bean flannel duvet cover for cold nights; then for frigid (I sleep with the windows open all year unless it gets into single digits), I put the flannel covers on a down comforter and I sleep directly under the comforter, no top sheet on the bed.

I'll give you what I have found to be a great tip I learned myself, though, recently. No fitted bottom sheet. I learned that hotels use flat sheets for bottom sheets and just tuck them in on all four sides. When ordering new cotton sheets for my renters, I decided to go that route and ordered a case of all flat sheets (which are huge, despite being queen, since they're made for hotels. I was nervous they wouldn't fit, since I have a deep mattress, but they do).

It is SO much more comfortable because you can really pull on the sheet, get it very tight across the bed, and tuck it in. It makes an enormous difference in comfort.

Back to you, I'd put under the quilt whatever bedding you need for temp and comfortable sleeping, and I'd get a cotton or wool quilt or coverlet to fold down at the end of the bed in the gray/silver (or whatever) color if you want to add color and more texture to the bed.

jmdkc thanked tibbrix