SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59

Need Help With Color Choice for Kitchen and Keeping Rooms

homechef59
9 years ago

We are doing a Kitchen renovation to a 1950's Colonial Cape Cod Ranch. The kitchen window is covered by a porch and does not get good light. We have a solar tube in the ceiling that provides some additional light. The keeping room has no windows and the den has lots of windows and good light. The design is traditional.

The new cabinets and the wood trim is SW Dover White in a high gloss. The countertops will be LG Viatera Rococo, looks like marble. There are stainless appliances, sinks and beveled subway tile in a soft white. The faucets and hardware are polished nickel. The flooring is a combination of natural black slate (can have greenish tint in some lights) and a medium stain wide planked white oak floor. The trim throughout the house is SW Dover White.

Currently, I have Laura Ashley Gold #3 on all of the walls. I was thinking about a change. My colors all run towards warm tones rather than cool tones.

These three rooms all run into one another in a fairly open concept. I have oriental rugs with combinations of navy blue, red, and gold in two of the rooms. The sofa is gold, the other upholstered chairs are either all navy, or navy tapestry. There are no coverings on the windows.

I was thinking that I would take the opportunity to change the wall color from the LA Gold #3 to SW Dover White to match the trim. But, I would do it in eggshell rather than the high gloss of the trim and cabinets. I was thinking the contrast of eggshell and high gloss would create a subtle effect.

Is there some other combination with the SW Dover White that would be attractive? Any opinions would be appreciated. I know this post doesn't sound like it, but I'm not afraid of color. Still, I was thinking of something a bit more neutral without being depressing. I am tired of all the Pottery Barn rooms with tans. It's not my style. I'm more classic.

This Laura Ashley Gold #3.

This SW Dover White

Here is a picture of SW Dover Kitchen with marble countertops.

Black slate tile floor with charcoal grout.

As I said, wall color suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (6)