SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_audrey

Today is "National Chili Day!"

Love Chili! I'm including a link to a recipe that is yummy.

Game Day Chili Recipe

Comments (14)

• prairie_rose
    9 years ago

Now you are talking my language girl. Love chili!!! I will see what DH thinks about a bowl for supper tonight. That with some fresh corn bread, crisp green salad on the side. YUMMY!

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

It's 6:30 am and I could have a bowl of that chilli for breakfast. Is that wrong?.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not today Jeff

Small Smileys · More Info

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

I can handle this one even though we are snowed in right now. I have a freezer full! Thanks for the heads up. Saves on thinking about what's for dinner tonight. LOL

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

Tease me, that's cold aunty

• janey_alabama
    9 years ago

Love chili!! I like it with cheese on Saltine crackers or those little oyster crackers. Also enjoy chili dogs.

• party_music50
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

georgysmom, I'm amazed to hear you're snowed in! For more than a month we've been having horrible winter weather -- extremely cold and TONS of snow. I recently checked the Williamsburg weather forecast because I wanted to talk BF into driving/flying down for a few days to escape! I was looking for golfing weather and didn't find it, but I'm certain I didn't see any snow in the forecast. I guess there's no escaping it this year. :p

oops, to be OT: I love chili too! I made some recently though, so doubt if I'll make any today. I may make chocolate-covered peanuts today, however. :)

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I don't like kidney beans, so hubby makes regular chili for himself and this Texas Chili for me. It's very hot and spicy, so I eat it over rice with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt on top.

True” Texas Chili

1 cup chopped onions

2 garlic cloves minced

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 pounds beef round cut into ½ inch cubes**

1 ½ teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 ½ teaspoons ground dried oregano (Mexican
    oregano if it’s available)

1 tablespoon ground cumin

5 tablespoons chili powder

1 ½ teaspoons red jalapeno powder (1/2 to 1
    finely chopped jalapeno pepper also works)

1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce

1 tablespoon corn meal

in a large skillet or Dutch
    oven, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the beef and cook
    until browned. Add the salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin and chili powder,
    jalapeno or jalapeno powder, tomato sauce and 1 ½ cups of water.

Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
    a low simmering boil and cook, partially covered 1 hour. Remove
    from heat. To thicken the chili add the cornmeal and stir well to combine.
    Return to low heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with baked beans, over
    rice (recommended) or with Texas garlic toast on the side. Add sour cream if
    desired.

** 2 ½ pounds of good quality ground beef
    can be substituted for the beef round if desired.

NOTE: This dish is VERY spicy so serving
    with rice, or garlic toast will temper the heat a little bit.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

jeff-1010, your onion hush puppies sound good! I never think to make them, but then I'm a northerner and have probably only had them 3 times in my life. Do you have a recipe you'd suggest?

• Michael
    9 years ago

It's 6:30 am and I could have a bowl of that chilli for breakfast. Is that wrong?
    Absolutely legal! Over scrambled eggs served with Mexican corn bread.

Our chilli always includes 3 beans, kidney, pinto, black, and sliced serrano or jalepeno peppers. We're 64 and guesstimate we have eaten several hundred chili recipes without complaint. Chili dogs must include Nathan's...nothing less, heaped with sliced scallions and sharp NY cheddar.

• vicsgirl
    9 years ago

I made turkey chili in the crockpot Sunday. It was fine, but the toppings made it super-good. I added shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, cut up cubes of avocado and some fresh cilantro.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Chili is excellent inside a cheesy omelet. Excellent! So, there's your breakfast.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

There was supposed to have been a chili cookoff at the hunt club this weekend, but due to snow it was cancelled. I have won second place in the past, but I was hoping to get first place this year.

Tonight for dinner I made two cheese coneys. Hot dogs with Skyline-brand Cincinnati-style chili and finely shredded cheddar cheese. In my opinion, the chili on a chili dog is far more important than the brand of hot dog that is used. If it has beans, or large pieces of meat, visible identifiable vegetables or if it is something that you'd otherwise put in a bowl and eat -- you're doing it wrong. :-)