SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?

texasgal47
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British Colonial, with a definite Hawaiian theme. I live in a small contemporary patio home. There's a beautiful 8 light crystal chandelier hanging in there now. It nicely fills the space since the sloped ceiling peaks at 12 ft. I'm considering changing to a 3-light linear chandelier in olde bronze from the Kichler Triad collection (#42457OZ). The new chandelier is contemporary/tropical. It has 3 round layered glass shades which sit on top of a flat metal rectangular base to simulate candles. Three small halogen bulbs are inset into the flat metal base on the bottom to light the table. It, too, is nicely proportioned for the room. Either fixture will work well as I have a mix of traditional and transitional. However, I've always loved dining beneath that crystal chandelier for the last 40 years.

So, what's giving me pause now? A new large painting requires that any chandelier be raised to 42" above the table top or part of the canvas will be obstructed when viewed from a distance. I've never liked the chandelier sprays and have always hand cleaned the crystal (think many pieces of cut crystal). It's always been worth the time invested for something I love. However, now I would be cleaning from a ladder rather than a step stool. I'm still comfortable on ladders, but it's definitely more of a PIA. Someone could be hired, but it would probably be expensive. I loved the Kichler fixture from the moment I first saw it in the lighting store but wonder if I will regret the change. The ambiance will definitely be different. Those of you who have changed to a more casual style like this, did you regret it?

Comments (17)