SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewou

Builder Error Caused Fire

drewou
9 years ago

My wife and I moved into our brand new home this past Friday. The builder seemingly did a great job, however due to extremely cold temperatures in OH (-22 air temp. today) and initial construction error, one of our pipes froze but did not burst. The foreman came out this afternoon and cut away a section of the interior garage wall to thaw the pipes and re-insulate properly. During the thawing process he accidentally ignited insulation, which spread through one wall of the garage and into the kitchen ceiling. The fire damage is bad enough, however the worst part is that the smoke got into our furnace and spread throughout our entire house (3600 sq. ft.) Granted I am about 6 hours into this process, but so far the builder has said he will do whatever is necessary to make our home better than new, and I believe him. That being said, what should I expect him to do to properly rectify the situation? Neither my wife or I are litigious people, however if he does not follow through, what recourse could I potentially take? The cleanup company he hired estimated we'll be displaced for 3-4 weeks. Should I expect, or am I entitled to, anything above and beyond full restitution? Any insights or opinions into our situation would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)