SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Best Treatment for spider mites

kwie2011
9 years ago

Anyone know the best treatment for spider mites?

I had a TINY species infect a Crassula tetragona. There was never any webbing, and they were so small that I could only see them by shooting macro photos of leaves, then enlarging the photos. They are not visible to the naked eye, or even a magnifying glass, but the damage is.

I got rid of them on that plant with homemade insecticidal soap months ago, but apparently not before they spread to my Schefflera, which only recently began showing damage. I did the same treatment for less time on the Schefflera because it is more fragile. However, a week later either I'm seeing fresh damage, or old damage is just now becoming visible. I fear I might need an actual pesticide, and that the mites are probably lurking in other plants just waiting to wreak havoc on everything at once, some of which can't be sprayed with insecticidal soap. Since they are not visible, I can't know until the population is large enough to cause visible damage.

I have pets, so I'd prefer something systemic so I don't have to spray poison around my little clan. Also, my plants are highly varied: from ferns to succulents, aroids to sansevieria. I'll probably need to treat them all to be completely rid of the threat.

So...who knows their bugs and insecticides? Anything safe and effective on a large and varied collection?

Comments (3)