SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmat

Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way

txmat
9 years ago

I need advice as to which wire to connect to which terminal on a three way dimmer. Here is the existing wiring. Switch 1: An on/off switch which is a three way switch with a red and black connected to the two brass terminals on opposite side of the switch. Another black connected to the different color terminal on the switch.

Switch 2 is a dimmer only - no on/off function. It has two black wires connected to each of it's terminals. There is a red wire in the box that is taped with electrical tape.

Switch 3 is a new 3 way dimmer whose instructions say when removing the old switch note which wire is connected to the different color terminal and connect to the different color terminal on the new switch and the connect the remaining wires to the two like color terminals. The problem is I don't know which of the blacks that are currently connected to Switch is the one connected to the different colored terminal on Switch one.

Question. How should I wire Switch 3 or how do I determine what each of the wires attached to switch 1 do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (4)