SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?

mxk3 z5b_MI
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless.

For me, it's Spigelia. There was a post on the board last summer and lo and behold I stumbled upon it at the local nursery and bought a few pots (3, I think), which were small. I read in the thread it can be a little iffy, so I will be very pleased if it returns. I figure if it makes it through the first winter, it should be fine after that.

Also, "Blue Lagoon" dwarf monkshood. I saw one lone pot at a local nursery fall 2013 and bought it. I just had the patio re-built and was running out of time to get everything planted/re-planted, didn't put a lot of thought into plant placement, and he ended up in a sunny spot right next to the patio stones. He returned last spring and looked great for a while, but as it got hotter and drier, he starting toasting, so I moved him to a part-shade location -- where he petered out around mid-summer. Totally disappeared. I'm hoping maybe, JUST MAYBE, the roots managed to survive and he'll send up a few shoots this spring. It's happened before with other plants, so I won't call it until I'm sure he's a goner. I really hope this one pulls through because I loved it while it was blooming and very much liked the foliage, and I've not seen another one for sale before or since. No luck on-line, either.

Comments (49)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Echinacea. I have several newer ones and fear they will disappear in this cold.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Stachys monieri 'Humelo', it looked rather peely wally last year but I had a look today and it seems like it's coming back a little stronger, I might even be able to divide it this year. I love this plant.

• Related Discussions

Which Blooms Did You Most Anxiously Wait to See??

Q

Comments (9)
    Most of my roses came last year as bands, and not all of them bloomed their first season. Most of the once-bloomers threw a couple before they went into grow-only mode, and I got to see most of the repeat-bloomers at least once. So for this year, I'd have to say that the blooms I "most anxiously wait(ed) to see" would be on those roses I didn't get to "meet" in bloom last year. Thus far, the following have been satisfied: 'Blanc de Vibert' 'DLFED 3' 'Duchesse d'Angouleme (aka 'Wax Rose') "Grandmother's Hat" 'Mme de Sevigne' 'Paul Neyron' 'Reine des Violettes' 'Rose du Roi -- original' "Sombreuil" (the climber) 'Tuscany Superb' 'Yolande d'Aragon' But there are still a few more from last year I have yet to "meet" -- but it should happen soon: 'Baltimore Belle' 'Bleu Magenta' 'Ferdinand Pichard' 'Indigo' 'Orfeo' 'R. fedtschenkoana' And then a few came this year as well. Of those, I got to "meet" 'Crimson Glory' because it had an open flower (and an unopened bud) right in the box. Its reputation for fragrance is certainly well-founded. The others I'm still waiting to "meet" are: 'Big Ben' 'Carolyn Supinger' 'Happy Child' 'Heart's Desire' 'Mister Lincoln' 'Red Masterpiece' 'Velvet Fragrance' 'Vineyard Song' All this aside, thinking back to Winter, I'd have to say the short list of those I was most looking forward to seeing was: 'Nouveau Monde' -- I imagined it full of small, fragrant, pink blooms all across the railing of the back deck, and that's what it's doing now 'Souvenir de Victor Landeau' -- the full flush on all its self-pegged canes was awesome 'Orfeo' -- I can't wait to see red roses going up the hacked Callery pear, and while I don't think it will have a "flush" this year, I do see a few buds on it now 'Georg Arends' -- it's about to bloom now, and the blooms are such a beautiful, clear, solid pink, the scent so distinctive and strong, and the form like a big cabbage HP with rolled-back corners on the petals like a Tea And any of my pot-pet red HTs. Though to be fair, being a new gardener who endured a horrible Winter, I was elated at the first green leaves of Spring. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

anxiously awaiting the spring garden

Q

Comments (1)
    I sow most of my seeds in the basement in trays under lights. Lettuce, broccoli, spinach and kale are already up and at 'em. Carrots, onions, garlic and shallots are already growing from a fall planting. Any day now I will sow peas (Snow and Garden peas) and nasturtiums - in the ground outside, they hate to be transplanted. I have a whole new area behind my blueberry row that I have been working on all winter. I will fill it with pumpkins and melons this summer. After that I am officially out of room...well, except for that stretch along the driveway leading out to the mailbox...
    ...See More

What plants are you coveting this spring?

Q

Comments (13)
    debsz5, the RBG garden show is a MUCH smaller event than Canada Blooms. It has several display gardens, but mostly it has vendors of plants, garden tools, pots, as well as landscape companies. It has nurseries from around southern ontario, so I have found it a good place to get some unusual plants from nurseries in niagara, etc which I wouldn't usually travel to (from Hamilton). Some nurseries sell their plants at the same price as at the nursery and others put on a 10-20% discount for the show. It was at this show that I first saw a live cornus controversa variegata -- a beautiful 6' specimen in bloom but with a hefty $400 price tag! It stimulated me to go out and find a source for a much smaller one (for $60).
    ...See More

Neewbie awaiting spring

Q

Comments (6)
    The 3 year rule applies to just about all perennials. Just a little rhyme about growth rate. The first year, they sleep. You plant them and they just seem to sit there and do nothing. The second year, they creep. They come back, but it seems like they increase their growth very little. The third year, they leap. They come back and will have spread, double or tripled their size. Pam
    ...See More
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I think the post about Spigelia marilandica may have been mine. I have a gorgeous specimen and it's spectacular in bloom. The strain I have has a chartreuse center rather than yellow; I believe it's rarer than the yellow. I originally got it from a now defunct nursery that carried unique plants and strains that you could find nowhere else (Seneca Hills Perennials). Oh, I miss that nursery.

My Spigelia self sows modestly and I give away as many babies as I can.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I have two new red hot pokers which I'm looking forward to. The ones I had before were just a big mess and didn't bloom much, but I'm optimistic these will be 'improved' versions! Also a few new phlox from last year which needed a little more time to settle in. Hopefully this year they will be amazing.

And snowdrops. I need them asap once this snow melts.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

While not a perennial, the plants we most anxiously look forward to in spring are the wisteria-'trees', worrying about whether the flowerbuds made it through the winter or not. Last year's brutal winter killed all the flowerbuds so we had no spring bloom on them - or on the Clematis montana either. I was optimistic for them all this year until the nasty cold and windchills set in early this month. Now I'm sure we're going to have no bloom on them again this spring :-(

I, too, hope the spigelia gifted to us last summer returns and does well this year. They are such pretty things!

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Well, everything I own or have is buried under snow..All my shrubs, Liliacs, azeala bushes, bluberries, and my most important, my Japanese maples((( I hope to God they made it and did not break or anything..They are only about 2 to 3 feet tall(((( Sheesh, I hope all my perennials made it..At least I know the bulbs will and the Hpya's since those have been under an 8 feet of snow cover for weks as this frigid -0 degrees air keeps smacking us in the face.
    While places that are supose to be cold are warm, and areas like mine are suppose to be warmer than this. it worries me.All you folks experiencing above normal temps would loose all your plants if the jet stream decided to go back to normal now..Ouch
  • hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    9 years ago

Since we've had our share of sub zero temps( -20 this morning) and virtually no snow cover this winter I guess we'll find out what's really tough. I'm not to worried about the established plants but I had to move two beds into a holding area last fall for a construction project to be done this spring. We'll see how they fare.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Like Mike, all is under snow here. I await seeing grass cuz it'll mean the snow is gone. lol I've learned to take things in stages.

tj

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Hostaholic2, we had a year like that either last year or the year before and I was worried about how much was going to survive. I was amazed that just about everything did survive, although they were set back. They were slow to emerge and were half the size they previously were in some cases.

I'm looking forward to roses this year. We added new bare root roses last year and I can't wait to see how well they do in their second season. I am a little worried about having bloom on Hydrangeas this year. It was pretty cold for December and January before we got all this snow.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

Some Echinacea and Aquilegia I started from seed last year that hopefully will put out blooms this year. I also planted a clematis 'Galore' and geranium 'Rozanne' in mid October that I'm hoping made it through the winter.

• WoodsTea 6a MO
    9 years ago

Callirhoe bushii, Bush's Poppy Mallow. It has extra appeal for me since it's on the endangered list for Missouri. It's one of two forbs in my yard (the other is henbit >:-O) that have any green on them here in the dead of winter. I've got it next to Heliopsis helianthoides 'Summer Nights' and I'm hoping it's a winning combo. Planted as nursery seedlings last spring.

After that there is one Psoralidium tenuiflorum that I started from seed last year. It's one of those prairie plants that puts most of its first year effort into putting down roots, and it was no more than four inches tall by the end of last summer. This one might be too wild-looking (loose/leggy) for a border, but I figured it might be interesting tucked in among grasses.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I would have said my 12 year old Japanese Maple. Unfortunately it passed away in last years brutal winter. I really wasn't even expecting it would have a problem. This past fall I added some new hydrangea's. I'm hoping they had enough time to settle in.

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

Too many to single out, but as I thought, there is one. A form of spring, woodland Anemone, called A. nemerosa 'Robinsonniana. Not special, or rare but not easy for me to get going. My little colony should return, and the color is, somehow, beautiful to me. Certainly not native to this very acid sand.

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Patty, how did your Maple die? I am sorry to hear of that.

• BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
    9 years ago

My Shasta Daisy "Silver Princess". I WSed last year and was surprised to see one bloomed for me! All I heard was they wouldn't flower the first year. Guess I was lucky. Couldn't wait to see how they come up this year.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Even in its first year we were so impressed with the pure white dinner plate sized flowers of Blue River II. This can't have been an easy winter for these "hardy" hibiscus.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

There are quite a few I feel perished (had some cold nights with no snow cover) this year.

I'm a bit anxious about my Ginkgo 'Mariken' that I purchased last spring. I noticed quite a few of the smaller branches were dead, though the "trunk" and larger branches seem to still have green at heart.

The Cedrus deodara 'Feelin Sunny' I was gifted has likely died (at least 60%+ from the top down). An experiment that did not prove successful I'm afraid....

CMK

• Gretchen W.
    9 years ago

I am hoping that my butterfly bushes come back. In the Carrollton near Dallas we had some great snow fall where it happened during the week and then again the following week.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

My potted Praying Hands hosta I have tipped over on the ground. The last two years have not been kind to my potted hostas surviving the winter into spring due to rot. If it comes back, then I know what to do to keep potted hostas alive in Michigan and I can attempt to keep more in pots. Those that did survive were all planted in the ground last year so I wouldn't have any more casualties.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

A little snow on Buddlieas won't be any problem at all. It's extreme cold that does them in.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Was waiting to see if my Salvia reopens made and all three did. As of this morning , I see some green shoots coming up.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

I can barely remember what's in the garden.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

I have a newly planted autumn brilliance serviceberry that I planted in October when most of the leaves were already gone/turned dark. I saw little white poofs popping out from the buds yesterday and I'm very excited to see how it performs this year.

9 years ago

Awsome, great catch.

Annette

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Just enough clouds.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"anxiously awaiting"
    At this point...a whole bunch of things. There was less snow cover than last winter, though still the coldest nights tended to have it (that's part of the reason they are the coldest nights).

Particularly worried about: rare South African plants such as species Kniphofias...last winter killed K. northiae and then the massive late April rainstorm...5 inches...caused the little sliver that was trying to recover from the deepest roots, to rot. The hybrid Kniphofias will probably be fine, but even there I'm not 100% sure.
    One Eucomis is surely dead as some animal pulled the bulb from the ground, I guess there could be an offset someone still buried. Also fear for various others like Dieramas, etc. The more interesting plants of the antipodes will always be long term experiments here, I knew that. They just don't have these kind of cold outbreaks when they are separated from Antarctica by hundreds of miles of open unfrozen ocean. Yes, the higher elevations can be very cold because the lapse rate is higher there, but then in that case, they are consistently cold, and/or have reliable snowcover. I mounded a huge pile of snow around the base of my Eucalyptus, so we will see if that means it can resprout.

I had a new hybrid Narcissus from "The Bulb Baron" that I was worried about, but at least one of them seems to have survived the winter. Reasonably impressive for something bred in coastal northern California of somewhat tender early species. It was 'KayKay'.
    Also worried about Penstemons, they don't do well under wet snow I've found. I'm talking the intermountain western hybrids, not the midwestern or SE species or hybrids of them, they will be fine.
    Worried about all of the Chilean Rhodophialas, which if nothing else could have been eaten by voles or mice.
    My Cyclamen graecums which I were proud of, were all killed by last winter. I just tried one replacement from Lazy z Farms...I'm glad I didn't order the replacement last spring! I'll try it in a more sheltered spot.

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

I don't begin "anxiously awaiting" for another month or so here in the far north, but the first things to bloom here will be daffodils and apple blossoms, in late April or early May. I did plant more daffodils last fall to fill in some bare spots, so I am looking forward to seeing them peek their heads up.

9 years ago

And with much of the protective snow gone we are forecast to get temperatures of 7F this evening :(. Out damned winter!

• marielle
    9 years ago

I'm anxious to see the condition of all my shrubs, small trees and evergreens covered so deep in snow, you can't see them. I can only guess where they are.

• jlusk99
    9 years ago

While I am jealous there are many of these plants I can't grow because we are too hot/humid, I'm NOT jealous that everything in my garden is coming into full flower right now (azaleas, camellias, delphinium, foxglove, columbine, violas, roses, Louisiana iris, penstemon, callas, phlox, amaryllis, etc). We get aggravated when we still have a couple cold nights in February down here in S. LA. Will be walking the dog tonight after work in shorts. Can't imagine dealing with neverending winters like you guys.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

late last fall I picked up 2 Kerria bushes on very deep discount at the nursery, and I'm dying to see if they made it through the winter. They were late getting in the ground, but I pampered them until the ground froze. Should know in a few weeks here!

• linlily
    9 years ago

I was holding my breath to see if my Mediterranean Pink Heather was alive when the snow melted. There had to be 20 + inches here of accumulated snow here along with very, very cold temperatures starting in January. The snow finally all melted and my heather was healthy and blooming while the snow was disappearing. I had lost one the winter before that was planted probably too late to get established. This one was planted last spring and it's healthy and happy right now! I'm so pleased to see it. It's nice to have a little bit of color right now.

On the other hand, we planted several potted perennials very late last fall and I wonder how many will be showing up this spring. I have some green growth on some perennials already, but not all of them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the late-planted ones make it.

Linda

• User
    9 years ago

Today I spied two stems of the Amsonia hubrechtii I planted last Fall--Yay!!!!!! I've been patiently waiting for that and way too many others to name.

mrtulin, that was hilarious!

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

catkin and others: For years here I was idabean. I want my name back, in part because I'm a female Tulin. I don't know where houzz picked up what appears to be my new user name. I'm could figure out how to change it but will someone please tell me where to go first?

I still don't see any garden. Debris, sunflower shells, cracked pots, a rotting wooden arbor and filthy snow. When I get a glimpse of the hellebore buds hunkering down in their raggedy leaves Iĺl believe spring is here.

This season will be the first time in years I'll be gardening with two good knees. Gotta love some aspects modern medicine and a new lease on life. If anyone is contemplating knee replacement and wants encouragement, I'm the gal to talk to.

idabean/Marie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Catkin, I want to add Amsonia this spring. Glad yours came back.

Marie, that's wonderful that you have had such a good experience with your knee replacements! I hope you really enjoy this gardening season.

To change your Screen name…go to ….Your Houzz/Edit Profile/

I’m not sure if you change ‘User Name’ or under Profile Information, ‘First name’, ‘Last name’.

I put my zone and state in the ‘Last name’ column.

Finally the snow has melted off one of my borders and I spy daffodils pushing up. You got to love them, they are so consistent. Vegetable beds are still frozen and half my yard is still covered with snow. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the mulch back and adding black plastic to the vegetable beds to try to speed things up. It will probably be June by the time the large snowbanks in the front melt. [g]

We had one storm over the winter that was so windy that a neighbor's spruce trees lost a lot of the tips of their branches, which blew all over the snow in the back then we had more snow. Another storm blew the remainder of the fall leaves all over the snow then we had more snow. So as the snow melts, there are these layers of what was buried there. Very amusing, but it's going to be a clean up to remember. I've seen three boxwoods that are going to have to be pruned very hard, along with two Syringa palabin as well. And forget about all the foundation shrubs in the front, quite a mess and I can't get in there to start pruning them yet.

• User
    9 years ago

Not much of an anxious waiter because I can never remember what is in here from one year to the next. It is always a surprise to me and maybe, months later, I may vaguely wonder where such and such a plant went (usually when looking at old photos). I am doing the seedling hover in the greenhouse though - squinting down at the green-filmed chick-grit to spot the first signs of cotyledons. Sometimes several times a day.

In a month or so, I will be remonstrating with myself - why did I sow so many seeds...and where am I going to put them whilst they grow on to be strong enough to survive without my benign neglect? This happens every bloody year! Am I a simpleton?

9 years ago

It is always a surprise to me and maybe, months later, I may vaguely wonder where such and such a plant went (usually when looking at old photos).

I always find it lots of fun coming across a forgotten perennial. I used to have a rough map showing where and what was in the ground but things seemed to change so quickly through the season I haven't had one for a couple of years. Now that I think of it, looking ahead, I am predicting that this season the composition of our gardens will likely change very little. So maybe such a map is doable.....another 2015 gardening resolution.

• User
    9 years ago

Yep camp. I found a heavily shaded Loddon Anna Campanula sleeping behind a large evergreen yesterday. I knew I'd planted three of these years ago but never took the time to search the nooks and crannies. It wasn't until I was in the border getting up close and personal that I saw last years bleached white stalks sprawled out on the ground with a few rosettes doing their thing---now it's on my move list. I love this plant so much and am happy to have another to give and give it a prominent place.

9 years ago

Another plant I was happy to see in my garden stroll this morning was my little clump of Haberlea rodopensis, I had to move this one last spring when redoing an overgrown flower bed. I did have both the mauve and white flowering but lost the white one several years ago, haven't been able to replace it yet, they are such pretty little things. My several varieties of Tradescantia ( I know not everyone's cup of tea :) are up and growing strong but I noticed my clump of Leucanthemum 'Cobham Gold' took a hit, I think I can salvage some bits, but it sure looks miserable right now. It's been a funny winter, things I thought I might lose have come through with flying colors, others that I wasn't in the least worried about haven't, go figure.

Annette

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

OK , its official, I am anxious over my Plumbago. I planted it right before the first VERY EARLY unlooked for freeze. I think it was making tiny green earlier this spring, but then we got the VERY LATE unlooked for freeze and bye bye green shoot.. I just dug it up and scratched a brittle twig below soil line and YAY it is green! My Mexican honeysuckle is in the same dead looking boat but it has made an ever so tiny appearance. I was apprehensive of a ammonia ciliata that was advertised as liking the caliche flat limestone marl in habitat here in Travis county. Well I had some habitat for it and it is dead sun and unfriendly as all get out. It has sent up three stalks and is putting on some blooms. I was hovering like a worried crow over a barren patch of gravel mulch where there might be a subtererenian silver leafed ironweed from the Big Bend. We did have a wet winter and I was worried that it might have been too wet for this new species that says "For Western Gardens only". I am on the wet side of that no mater how much I moan and groan about how dry it is here. I think I see something but I also have seeds volunteering in the area. I am chanting to myself. " I will not dig it up, that is like picking at a scab"

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I did not realize that I was so anxious over so many plants. I had marked all 4 of these Starrfire Scutellarias as dead as a doornail. I guess I was beyond anxious and in mourning. I had already scattered penstemon seeds over one spot. I was out by one of the spots weeding some winter grass and I think I see many shoots coming up in the ground all over through the rock mulch. 2 in a different spot are still not showing.. There the ones with the penstemon seeds. Scutellarias will grow from cuttings so I am cool.

• User
    9 years ago

Hello Idabean, I hope you get your name figured out!
    Prairie, I finally succumbed to the Amsonia after having seen so many photos of huge stands showing Fall color so pretty!
    I also saw some Allium I'd planted. They're about 3-4" tall. It's almost like I need to do a search daily and I'm up for it. I keep forgetting how early in the year it is.

• User
    9 years ago

After Midnight, that Haberlea does look pretty! I read it doesn't like to be too wet? Probably lets my PNW climate out. What do you think

• User
    9 years ago

Wanton, knowing myself all too well, I'm purposefully not getting out my mail order invoices so I won't be able to see what's missing! I'm giving it more time, then I'll start worrying.

9 years ago

Catkin, I'm in the PNW on Vancouver Island, we have very wet winters most years. As long as you have good drainage where it's planted it should be fine, a raised bed would even be better.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Catkin, You save invoices? now there is a strange idea. I just want to forget that amount on the bottom as fast as I can.

• User
    9 years ago

AM, thanks for that! The drainage may be an issue but I'm willing to try. So many plants I'd like to have but can never find.

Wanton--LOL! Yes, it's a double-edged sword! I save them to remember WTH I bought/planted and also to remind myself not to go on a Fall mail-order frenzy if the majority of the plants I planted don't reappear this Spring. I'm not going to be happy if that happens. I see the Penstemons are toast...I'm now officially done with them. Too wet, I spose.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I just did a spring time jag and licking my wounds waiting for the package to be shipped.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES