SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverly_

I made a boo boo...threw out the sinkers!!

beverly_
9 years ago

I just had to vent somewhere I knew understands my pain. I'm really sad because some of them I only had one packet of. Once I recoup, I do a post for a trade.

Some where I read that I can soak my pepper seeds for 8 to 24 hours to help germination. I also read somewhere that the floaters were the good seeds...

I went into work and was talking to one of my coworkers about what I did and he quickly corrected me and said that I should have kept the sinkers. 1 week later, he was completely correct. Most of the seeds look just gooey or have shriveled up. Good/bad news is that I threw the other seeds into my compost (when I thought they were bad, I figured they wouldn't sprout)....

I'm a newbie to growing peppers from seeds & this is my second attempt. I've completely killed off things and still learning. Lessons Learned so far:

1. When doing the baggie method, do not lay seeds DIRECTLY on rope lights. They will slowly burn after a few days.

2. Sinkers are GOOD.

3. Check the baggies every few days. Sometimes they dry out a little so they need spritz of water.

4. When germinating, try to use a starting soil that doesn't dry out too quickly. 5-1-1 starting mix is actually cost efficient and worked for

5. Germinated seeds need light ASAP, not more heat.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022