SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rexedwardfairy

Hedychium didnt flower & developed brown leaves

rexedwardfairy
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to growing gingers and thought it would be easy. I am in subtropical Australia and bought 6 hedychium pink v ginger bulbs several months ago (in spring) and potted them up into cactus mix (50% potting mix + 50% sharp sand). I read they don't like to be waterlogged even in summer, so put them under shelter so they didnt get rain but actually only got the hosing down I gave them (every second day). They grew quite quickly and well - nice and green for a while...

THen they started developing brown on the end of their tips. So I figured "hungry". Googled, found they prefer 'liquid fertilizer" so fed them Miracle-gro. Brown tips became yellow...

So I figured "leave them alone" and did for a while.

Brown/yellow tip burn became worse after a few weeks, so I figured "no they're actually really hungry"...

So fed them with something more solid than liquid Miracle-gro: vermicast.

Leaf tips now really burnt and yellow.

Okay. Figured they hated that, leave them alone. maybe they are drying out too much and its not hunger at all.

Started watering more. No difference - no improvement nor worsening.

Noticed they were all bent over leaning out to get more sun (they just get a few hours of arvo sun), so I moved them out to where they will get a few extra hours of sun.

And this has been the path of the last 5 or so months.

Just wanted some expert advice as to what I'm doing wrong. I've got burnt leaf tips, no idea whether they want food or not, or what fertiliser they might ACTUALLY LIKE... and they havent even begun to look like flowering - which is the whole reason I bought them...

Can anyone help?

Comments (3)

Sponsored