SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rowan1099

Help! Paint color paralysis : )

rowan1099
9 years ago

Please excuse the birthday decorations!

I need some ideas for paint color for my entry, 1st floor hallway and second floor hallway. They have been the same blah off-white since we moved in years ago and because of the open flow of our house, I've never been sure what color to paint...so I haven't : ) I've decided that 2015 is the year to stop putting things off, so I need some help to get things rolling....literally!

The biggest issue I have in choosing colors is that the entry connects to a hallway which opens on to the kitchen...yet in that opening there is no natural break (the hallway wall kind of flows right into a kitchen wall without the benefit of a corner to change paint colors). The entryway wall also follows the stairs up to the second floor landing....where we can change paint colors if needed, but it shouldn't clash.

The upstairs bedrooms are SW 6106 Kilim Beige (which I love in my boys' rooms), SW 6176 Liveable Green is in the master bedroom and the boys' bathroom is 6246 North Star. We have a soft khaki/blue/green theme going on upstairs....which is totally different than the first floor.

Most of the first floor is painted with SW warm neutrals from the same paint strip; the living/dining rooms off to the left of the front door are SW 6129 Restrained Gold, the kitchen is 6126 Navajo White with a subtle accent wall done in 6127 Ivoire. The family room (open to the kitchen) is 6127 Ivoire with the fireplace accent wall done in Valspar Posh Red. All trim is SW 6385 Dover White....a creamy white.

The kitchen has large windows and a southern exposure so it gets a lot of natural light. I haven't loved the Navajo White in there as I feel that it is just too light in such a big space and leans too close to white in the middle of the day. That is all to say that the kitchen color can change to coordinate with the entry color, although I had been leaning towards painting the kitchen Ivoire (the color of the accent wall and the adjoining living room) as I think it has better depth. Our cabinets are golden oak (far from my favorite but a big remodel isn't in the cards right now and my husband isn't a fan of white kitchens so I think that painting them white wouldn't fly).

So the question is....what do I paint the entry hall, stairway wall and upstairs hall? I had been thinking of Ivoire in the entry, mainly because I know that it will coordinate with the rest of the house, but if I do that, I don't know what to do about the second floor landing. Ivoire would look really out of place. If I do one shade lighter than Kilim Beige (Divine White), I worry about how that would look transitioning to a yellow-toned neutral in the stairwell. The stairs, 1st floor entry and hall all really need to be the same color. If I redo the kitchen in Ivoire and then do the entry and hall, is that overkill?

Comments (14)