SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelina_zarre

Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing

Angelina Zarre
9 years ago

Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here seeking your collective wisdom. I'm planning to attempt vegetable gardening in raised beds for the first time this spring, and I've read so many different suggestions for what to put in said beds it's almost overwhelming.

Most I've found around the web involved some percentage of topsoil combined with an equal or almost-equal percentage of compost. The two that seemed fairly practical (and also hard for me to mess up) were:

A: 50% topsoil, 50% compost OR

B: 60% topsoil, 30% compost and 10% soilless growing media.

But then I see another contradictory article saying that topsoil is NOT a good option in raised beds and that I should use something more akin to a potting mix? (Don't even get me started on all the debates I read on Mel's Mix. It's enough to make one's head spin.)

In addition, I've read compost is great as a soil amendment, but is not sufficient as a fertilizer. Should I fertilize in addition to adding compost, or would it fry my plants? How often do you guys fertilize in raised beds if you do?

I apologize for having so many questions. As I've said, there's just SO MUCH INFO out there, and I just don't want to do anything wrong. I'm planning on using raised gardens for years to come, and I want a successful soil that I can continue to use long-term. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting