SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

E-mail tree?

So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting a hold of Holly about some seed potatoes, maybe others are finding it equally as challenging to do private comms with the new layout here!

So, I was thinking, maybe we could start an e-mail tree that we can pass around (through email) for us Rocky Mountain members to add their name and emails to?

I'm assuming that some of you guys might have some email addresses saved in your contacts? (I have Holly's and Skybird's, but that's it) Maybe we could pass it around to each other to add our info to and make private comms a little easier for us? Just a thought I had, maybe a bad one, but let me know what you guys think?

Comments (33)

• vlselz
    9 years ago

This new format has been hell for me also, I wanted to respond back to the potato talk as well and couldn't figure out how. I agree with the email tree, tell me where to start =)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vlselz, I guess we can get it going, and then wait to hear from others. If they think it's a bad idea, we'll dump it. If you have the email notifications turned on, apparently when I respond to you, my email comes up in the notification (that's what Holly told me, I don't have them turned on so I don't know). So, you can shoot me an email with a subject line of "RMG email tree" and I'll start a list. If you don't have them turned on, let me, know, Ill give you my email same as I did Holly!

• Related Discussions

Mail order fruit trees, nut trees, etc catalogs?

Q

Comments (2)
    mcfayden.com has bareroot fruit & nut trees and they have 20% off on merchandise orders over $75 until Feb. 15th
    ...See More

e-mail compromised

Q

Comments (7)
    there you go Laura confusing your dreams with reality. Besides you would need quite a few trucks and a tractor to dig out the hedges. They are several feet taller and wider than when you were last here. Also how would Brad take having your entire house full in the winter, and we are talking way more than he has to put up with now due to your addiction. Keep dreaming. Sherry says hi.
    ...See More

E-Mail From Daughter

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Nora, Thanks for asking about us. As far as I can tell my Dad is gaining strength after a hospital stay. Being in an independent living facility he goes to the diningroom only for breakfast & the folks there bring up his other meals. I enjoy the visits with him & fortunate he's just 2 miles away & not in Arizona. It's a day at a time. As far as Mom her dementia comes & goes & we take it as it comes. DH had a rear-end collision & rolled his truck. He is a man of God & has not complained at all altho' there is a compression fracture of his back. He works part-time altho' retired 10yrs ago. We have a happy life together, being married just 3yrs. He has truly been a blessing to me. I am still working for one senior couple attempting to move closer to their children across the river. I recall your mentioning about bringing the family together when tough times are coming. It really is true. Here in the NW we're enjoying being outdoors. How nice you can share the garden experience with your Dad. That is such a wonderful gift, isn't it? The "swing" sounds so fun....bet she has a smile on her face then as it puts one on mine. These are the moments to cherish. Glad to hear your daughter is learning about the people in Bolivia. Here these people are poor & yet so happy to share what they have. I love it! Blessings to you, also. Sharlee
    ...See More

E mailing large mail.

Q

Comments (4)
    I have read before about users having this concern. When you say large how big do you mean? Is this an ISP e-mail account or an on-line you are using? Both tend to have account limits imposed. How long of a "send" period are you speaking of? Some accounts will time out. Do you have any other applications configured to be actively sharing bandwidth while you are trying to send the e-mail? Have you tried compressing the file into a .zip format and then sending it? DA
    ...See More
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My bad, apparently we were mistaken, the senders emails DO NOT come up in the notifications, I'll have to give it to you. Let me know either on here or through email that you got this so I can take it take down :)

thank you!

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Ok Zach I got it I will email you so you have mine...I used to have it set up to respond with emails now it doesn't you're right.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Zach, I don't have time for a long post right now, but just to give you a heads up! As I understand it, for right now the ONLY way we can PM each other is if we "friend" each other first! From another post, if I "friend" you, then you can see my PM button--or whatever it's called, to PM me. Then, if YOU send ME a message, I get your actual address, but I STILL can't PM you thru GW unless YOU "friend" ME! How's that for a fun system?????

I DO have a LOT of member's emails since I've hosted three swaps in the past, and had a lot of people at each of them. I don't feel comfortable just giving out ALL the addresses, but if somebody posts here that they want to "participate" in the "tree," I'll email their address to you (if I have it), and I'll leave it up to you to collect them all and send a blanket email to those that choose to participate! The one disclaimer is that I can't be sure all the addresses I have are still active!

How does that "system" sound to you?

I'll be back later tonite to read/post! Have some things to get done--in addition to counting birds!

Skybird

P.S. Other folks don't like the "new system" either! I'm hoping it'll get "fixed." I'm not into "friending" people--with a button!--as I think you may know from one of those other threads!

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Ok Zach, I emailed you, so you should have my email to add to the list =) Thanks! Skybird I think you have my email as well from the last spring swap...& ya the friend button what's that about?!?!

Original Author
    9 years ago

So thats how it works eh Skybird? Glad we got that all cleared up! That sounds like a good system to me, and kind of what I was going for! obviously, we wouldn't want to share people emails that do not want us to! I will take on the "collector task" unless we all just want to "friend" each other, which ever is easier and more palatable to everyone!

9 years ago

I'm gonna go down Screaming and Clawing at the Walls before I start "clicking a button" to "make friends" with somebody! I REALLY don't want this to turn into a "social media" site, 'cause then I really might need to actually leave!

Let's see how far we can get with your idea! It certainly sounds like a good start to me!

Viselz, I don't have your address from the last swap--only have addresses for people from the swaps that I had here at my house, since the host/hostess is the only one that "collects" addresses to send their location info.

If anybody wants to "participate" in our own very private RMG PMing system, come post here! IF I have your address, I'll send it to Zach, and at some point he'll send a blanket email to those that have chosen to do it!

Outta here for now--for real,

Skybird

9 years ago

Hi Zach,

I’m about to do a post on the (new) swap thread telling people
    to come here to send their addresses to you so you can collect them and blanket
    mail them to everyone—BUT—I thought I remembered you putting your email address
    in a post somewhere (spelling it out—“at” “dot”), and I assumed it was this
    thread, but I’m missing it if it’s here—or was that not you? Are you willing to do that with “some” email
    address so people can easily get on the email list? If the “tree” is gonna work, we need some way
    for people who have never been in contact with another RMG person to “make
    first contact!”

I’ll still gladly forward the addresses I have to you if
    people will come here and let me know they’re ok with me doing that, but I only
    have addresses for the people who have been to one of the three swaps I’ve had
    here—plus a few others that have contacted me for other reasons. It’s the people that have never had personal
    contact with someone else here that will be the problem. The only way for them to contact anybody at
    all right now, without someone’s address, is to go thru all the “friending”
    stuff, and if someone’s not familiar with “social media” sites, they may not
    even be sure how to do that. I, actually,
    haven’t checked it out on this site—because I’m hoping I can avoid it!

Let me know if you have an address you’re willing to post—“spelled
    out,” and we’ll go from there.

Skybird

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hey guys,

Wanted to pop in and say hello. The messaging system on Houzz requires that you are following someone before they can message you as a spam prevention measure, because that implies that there is a willingness to receive your updates. We are, however, actively working on ways to make this a bit easier for people in the exchanges, so stay tuned on updates on that front.

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

Permission granted to share my addy within the group.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Skybird,

Please include me in the email tree.

• gjmancini
    9 years ago

Put me on the email tree.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Skybird, sorry I seemed to have missed your post somehow! Anyways, yes it was me, I went back and edited it out of the post once Veronica got ahold of me. I will however put it HERE for anyone else and I guess I will just leave it up. I will also post it in the new swap thread for folks! I will send the email out whenever Gloria wants since she is the one hosting this year, I want to be sure she gets it in time.

It will be spelled out for anyone who wants to shoot me an email so I can add you to the list!

zachary "dot" b "dot" schiff "at" hotmail "dot" com

Replace the "dot" with . and the "at" with @ also no spaces!

9 years ago

Hi Zach,

Thanks for being willing to post your address! This will definitely make everything easier! I’ll keep track of the people who’d like me
    to send their addresses to you and send you an email about once a week—if I
    have any to send!

TO EVERYONE WHO SENDS THEIR ADDRESS TO ZACH! Be sure to INCLUDE your screen name in the
    email you send him! I know in the past
    I’ve gotten emails from people where I only had their address and their “real”
    name—and I couldn’t figure out “who they were” on RMG!

Thanks again, Zach, for doing this,

Skybird

P.S. I’m gonna send
    Gloria your address sometime later today—in case you guys need to get in touch
    for anything. Will send hers to you too!

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Wow - so many new things to learn here on the new format! Ok, I just click the 'like' button on your post Skybird? That's what I'll do after this post. Let me know if that's what your talking about, or not. Definitely want to get on the email tree :)

Marj

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes thanks for that Skybird, I totally overlooked the screen name thing haha! And yes please do send her my address, I hope this helps her plan. Its no problem, I'm virtually chained to my laptop anyways cuz apparently Microsoft word processor has become my warden... Good thing it's winter... Marj, we will definitely get you added!

9 years ago

Zach, I just sent you an email! I said in it that I was gonna try to post on
    your perennial planning thread tonite, but I don’t think I’m gonna get it
    done! Check out the email and I think
    you’ll understand why!!!

Misty, “liking” and “friending” are two different things,
    and I haven’t checked out how to “friend” here—because—I have every body part I
    can possibly cross, crossed, hoping I don’t ever need to start doing that on
    RMG! I KNOW who my friends are around here,
    and clicking a “button” does absolutely nothing to improve on that as far as
    I’m concerned! BUT, the good news
    is! If you still use an address that
    ends with @hotmail.com, I have it and I’ll send it to Zach to include in the
    list! If you have a different address,
    send an email to Zach’s “spelled out” address posted above and send him the new
    one! (But I suspect you’re still using
    the same old one!)

Misty, if you can’t figure something out, post your
    question(s) on the “RMG – How do I do it…” thread!

TO REPEAT: Anyone
    who’s been to one of the three swaps at my house, all you have to do is post
    here that you want me to send your address to Zach and I’ll do it for you! When you post here put in the “last part” of
    your address so I can see if you’re still using the same one! If you’ve changed your address in the last
    couple years, send your new address directly to Zach at the address he’s posted
    on this thread and on the swap thread.

At least we have three months before the swap to try to get
    all the addresses together!

Skybird

9 years ago

Misty, I just saw your post on the swap thread about following! Maybe friending and following are the same thing here on houzz! I really haven't checked it out at all! And like friending, I'm not planning to FOLLOW either! I'm not a Follower! ;-D

Skybird

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

I just sent you my info, Zach! Thanks for coordinating this .

Lisa C

(Aka lisaluwho...who will hopefully get around to changing back her call name title thingy soon!)

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Skybird - love your posts about friending and following (not!) on this site. Ha ha!! Yes, my email address is still the '@hotmail' one (with my RMG screen name at the beginning). Thanks!!!

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Interesting - when I clicked the submit button just now on my post, I got a popup asking if I wanted to share my post on my facebook page (yes, I do have one - but don't use if often!). Don't think I've gotten that before since we switched to Houzz - not sure why it came up now! But I chose NOT to share there!

Marj

• Azura
    9 years ago

Hello to all my gardening buddies, old and new! I've been away a few years but life is better now so it is time to concentrate on taming the jungle that my garden has become.

Skybird, could you please add me so that I can "participate" in the "tree"?

When did this site get so horribly confusing?

• stevation
    9 years ago

Hey, I've been absent for a while, but I want to be on the email list, too. I'll email Zach. And Skybird, I'm coming to Denver this summer, and we need to finally do that tour of the Botanical Gardens! We can email about that.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Word on the street id, we might not need to make an email list any longer, there is now (as of last Thursday) an option that we can allow private messaging without "friending" or "following" each other. I'm not so clear on the details of how that works, so hopefully someone will come by and lay it all out of us. For the time being though, I will continue to collect address until I guess we decide officially we no longer want to.

Azura, you can email me directly, my email is in one of these comments somewhere haha.

9 years ago

Welcome home, Steve(ation)! It’s good to see you poking your face in around here—and it’s especially good to see you were able to get into the New GW! If you’re having a problem with anything, or in trying to figure out something, let us know. This just happened a couple weeks ago, but we have much of it “figured out” by now!

I’d LOVE to go to DBG with you! [Are you sure your wife won’t divorce you if she finds out you “went out” with a 71 year old Little Olde Lady? LOL! Hi, Santia! Hope to meet you some day too!] If you guys are ever looking for a fun thing to do with the kiddos, have you ever heard of Little Wild Horse Canyon? It’s a (very, very, very cool) slot canyon right next to Goblin Valley State Park off of Rt 24. I don’t know if you’d consider that too far to go for a day trip or not, but it’s a really fun hike! [I’m not posting pics here on the “new” RMG, for now at least, but I could send you a few if you think you might be interested—if you haven’t already done it!]

The last email address you had for me in ’13 is still the one I’m using. Let me know what (approximate) dates you’re thinking of for Denver. I go trippin’ twice a year now, in spring and in fall, but if you’re talking about “summer,” I should be here!

Hope to see you around here a little more when you have time,

Skybird

P.S. Aren't the two of you getting pretty close to living "in the same place???"

P.P.S. Zach, as soon as I post this I’m gonna do a post to explain to everybody how they can change their settings to make it possible for everyone to directly PM each other again!

9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

This is a HEADS UP about how we are now able to PM/private message each other WITHOUT needing to “follow” each other first!

A few days ago Misty discovered they had changed their messaging system so we are now able to change our settings to enable ANYONE to PM us anytime they want to. Misty copied a screen shot of the settings which are on the “your houzz” page under “edit profile,” and then under the “advanced settings,” the same place you go to change your settings so you don’t wind up under a Landslide of Mail!

Misty explained it very well on the “RMG – How do I do it” page, so I’m gonna just link that here. On the Olde RMG I would have just said to go down to the post on such-and-such a date, but with the new “hours ago” system, that’s kind of hard to do!!! Right now it says “last Friday at 4:21PM,” but when that “changes over” to a date, it should say something like, February 20…at…! But it’s easy to find, ‘cause it’s the post with the settings screenshot in it!!!

Here’s a link to that thread—and just in case the URL copied here doesn’t work this time, I’m gonna put the link in the “little box” too!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2836905/rmg-how-do-i-do-it-where-do-i-find-it

HOW DOES THE NEW PM SYSTEM WORK?

Misty, in the post under the screenshot post explained this, and I’m gonna explain it here too to try to get the message to as many people as possible.

When you PM someone thru houzz you’ll get an email that says “you have a message.” Then you’ll need to click on the link in the email and will be taken to houzz and (I think) directly to your inbox, or if not there, go there! THAT’S where you’ll be able to read the message someone has sent you!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

The ADDRESS OF THE PERSON PMing YOU WILL NOT be in the message, so when you PM somebody thru houzz you’ll need to be sure to remember to put your email address in the body of the message, or they won’t be able to reply to you! Then you’ll get all mad or hurt ‘cause they didn’t reply to you—so remember to put your address IN your message!

With this feature now enabled, WE SHOULDN’T NEED TO HAVE ZACH COLLECTING EMAIL ADDRESSES ANYMORE! So, unless Zach comes and posts differently, you don’t need to send your address to him anymore—unless you want to for some reason! [If you think you might want to email him about something, sometime, the easiest way to do it would be to save his address now!]

Zach, thank you again for being willing to help us try to get Our Own Private Message System going here! Glad we don’t need to do it anymore because it’ll be a whole lot easier to do it this way!

If anyone is having a problem figuring the new system out, please come here and post! We’ll all do our best to help!

Really glad to see folks are gradually straggling in here at the New RMG,

Skybird

P.S. I have unchecked that “Allow users to follow my profile” box that’s in the screenshot, so, I believe if anyone should try to “follow me,” it wouldn’t work! Just don’t want somebody to think I’m “rejecting” them if they should try to “follow” me! It’s just that I’m an antisocial—um, I don’t think that’s quite the right word—I’m an Unsocial—guess that’s not quite right either! But I think you get the point! I have chosen, big time, to “not participate” in “social” media! I said it this way to someone recently: “I liked it a lot when we (GW/RMG) were our own Peaceful Little Island in the middle of all the multi-tasking hustle and bustle of the Modern World!” And even with the new “social media format” we have now, I hope we’re able to maintain our “peaceful little island” feel here!

RMG- How do I do it thread

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hi All,

Yes, you can indeed private message each other to your heart's content. :)

If you go to your profile and click Edit Profile, then Advanced Settings, you will find a spot to set up who can message you through Houzz.

The options are:

• No one can message me
    • Only people I follow can message me
    • Anyone can message me

Hope this will help! We're listening to you guys. We really are.

9 years ago

Thank you, Emily! We--all of us--are very much appreciating all your hard work!

Skybird

9 years ago

I forgot this in the "how to PM" post I just did, but,

Welcome Home to you too, Azura!

This site "got so horribly confusing" just a couple weeks ago, but we are gradually getting it all figured out again. If you have time, check out the "Hope you all found it alright" thread and you'll see some of the "chaos" that was going on around here when it first happened! If you're having any problem figuring something out, or if you find yourself suddenly INUNDATED by MAIL, come tell us what the problem is and we'll try to help!

No, I won't add you to the list!!! [Booooo!] But if you've read my new post about how we can now PM each other again, you'll understand why! Any chance you can make it to the Spring Swap this year? The thread is started already--check it out!

Sorry I didn't get back to you for a few days, but glad to hear "life is better!"

Skybird

• stevation
    9 years ago

Hey "Olde" friend Skybird. So, that was the mean (first) wife who would divorce me for meeting up with you! :) Santia is fine. Awesome, in fact. She may or may not be with me on the trip, because... (drum roll, please)... she's finally moving to Utah to shack up with me that month! Five years of commuting have been tough: lots of plane tickets, missing each other between our 2-3 weekends a month together, and most relevant to this forum, two gardens to maintain! But the kid is finally gonna be off to college at the end of summer, so we plan on the big move in August. Anyway, I'll email you with more info. And I definitely would like to see some photos of that slot canyon -- it sounds like a good trip. I'll catch up with you on email very soon!

9 years ago

Yeah, Steve! I know it was the ex that was the problem! And I know everything's been great with you "since Santia." I was just funnnin' with ya!

Sometime around late August/early Sept. is when I go on my fall trip, so I hope the dates don't mess with us again! How many years now is it that we've been trying to make it work to actually meet each other! If it works, I'd love to meet Santia too, but if you're moving at the time, that might need to wait. Who knows, maybe with the two of you living in the same state we could still possibly meet at Torrey sometime to do a hike together at Capitol Reef! When I get your email and reply I'll send you a bunch of Little Wild Horse pics--and maybe a couple of the other places I've been to down that way. Last year I spent five days in Moab--and this fall will be the eighth year I've "come down that way!"

It'll be good to have you back on RMG,

Skybird